[NetEpic ML] Free Webspace Notes

From: Tzeentch <tzeentch666_at_...>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 19:31:36 -0800

An interesting thread in the rec.games.board newsgroup has provided some
interesting hints if you do intend to use a free webserver such as Xoom or
<god forbid!> GeoCities. So now you have no excuse for starting a
NetEpic/Epic/Epic40K page or having your visitors put up with annoying pop
up windows or ads.

XOOM
PRO Unlimited File Space
CON Stupid frame at top of every page with advertisements
FIX
All you have to do is point to your page a little differently to avoid the
frame code. Instead of pointing people to <this is only an example>:
     http://members.xoom.com/BobCo/index.html
Point them instead to:
     http://members.xoom.com/_XOOM/BobCo/index.html
  [Notice the extra _XOOM_ directory]

GEOCITIES
PRO Ummm ;)
CON Freakin Pop-Up Windows of DOOM!
FIX
Add a <noscript> tag right after the closing html tag on your page. (you
listening Simon?)

ALL SERVICES
CON Service deleting files from the account.
FIX
Make SURE you have an html file on the account that links to _all_ of your
files. Even if you simply use the site as an external storehouse (like I do
with some free spaces). They look for files with no links on the page and
WILL delete them. Be smart, backup everything locally AND put a links page
on the site - even if normally an outside user would not be able to find it.

SUGGESTED FREE SERVERS
  I would highly suggest both Xoom and Angelfire. With Xoom getting the edge
due to its unlimited space.

Hope this helps a bit!
Kenneth

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/netepic