[NetEpic ML] GDUK2001 report

From: rscc <rscc_at_...>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 14:10:13 +0100

Definitely a good GD this year, in terms of the new stuff that was on display,
and the participation games. The pre-releases weren�t bad, but were limited
almost exclusively to Tau.

Anyway, I�ll list all the information and stuff that I learnt from the various
seminars and stuff on display:

VIP Skullz thing:

Not much going on here, but at least it got me early entry, a ticket to the 40k
seminar, some adequate free food, and some free stuff, such as the GD shaper
model, and some new High Elf plastic sprues

Studio:

In the studio area, there was much upcoming miniature goodness. The 40k stuff
on display were Necrons, plastic chaos marines (some with the legion specific
addons, I think), the new rhino 3-up, new Dark Angel and Whitescar models for
the first Index Astartes book, and some other notable things, such as a new
Eldar Farseer (or Warlock) with a Witchblade. For WHFB, there were new High Elf
and Skaven models.

The Necron stuff was quite nice, much better than the current range. There were
new metal lords, immortals, and plastic warriors, all updated versions of the
current ones, but much more skeletal looking, and just overall better. There
were some new necrons on display; the Wraith, a HtH choice (a floaty thing with
bladed hands and spinal chord like tail), and some other less skeletal Necrons,
a couple of which had two handed staff weapons. I�m not sure what they were.

The plastic chaos marine were good. Some of the stuff I noticed comes with them
is a nice powerfist with pointy fingers, a Plasmagun and a Heavy Bolter.

The Dark Angel models were a robed Dark Angel (either a master, or a veteran
sergeant) with a plasma pistol and chainsword, with various Dark Angel
Iconography all over it, and a Plasma Cannon armed marine, that had a sculpted
DA symbol on is right shoulderpad. There was also a variant of the
Master/Veteran sergeant model, with a Bolt Pistol and powersword, and his hood
up over his head. Its meant to be a DA Master. The Variant is going to be a
limited edition model. It may be one of those mail order only things too, I�m
not sure. It, an the normal version of it are superb models.

Forgeworld:

At the Forgeworld stand, there were some new bits on display, such as the
Squiggoth, two Imperial Guard tank hatch models (which I assume are special
characters, one had two plasma pistols, the other an engine block of some sort),
a Warhound with Turbo laser and Inferno cannon (the one currently on sale has a
plasma blastgun and a mega-bolter), a Tau battlesuit and a drone for Epic, Chaos
Dreadclaw assault boat for 40k, and the Demiurg ship for BFG (formerly a Fra�al
battlecruiser). More new stuff there was also on sale, however.

The Forgeworld seminar was good. Space Marines will be getting some new stuff
from Forgeworld, that stuff being:

A (multiple) Missile Launcher upgrade for the Land Raider (just an upgrade, its
not a new variant), an armoured Landspeeder with a only one pilot, drop down
missile launchers, and a forward mounted assault cannon, and of course the
Thunderhawk, which will be of two variants, the regular one and the Rhino
carrying one.

Imperial Armour 3 will be all about FW stuff for Space Marines and Sisters of
Battle, BTW.

For Imperial Guard there is a Chimera Interior detail kit is coming, as is the
Shadowsword Assault tank, a more heavily armoured Shadowsword variant with a
large canon designed for fighting in cities (similar to the old epic
Stormblade).

For Tau There will be a large walker suit, variants on the devilfish body, and
there was definitely something else mentioned for them.

For BFG there is a new Eldar light cruiser, and upcoming Dark Eldar models.

Fanatic:

The Forgeworld seminar was combined with the Fanatic one, due to the overlap
between the two, as a lot of the stuff FW is doing will be ruled up by Fanatic,
so most of the fanatic stuff was also to do with FW, but there was some new
fanatic models of note, such as a new BFG Hiveship for Tyranids, new weapons and
variant bits for the Warlord Titan, and loads of new stuff for Inquisitor, and
the new Tau fleet for BFG, out in approximately a year from now.

During the seminar, someone asked whether Fanatic will be supporting Space Hulk
or not. This will not be the case, but it was also mentioned that there is a
new version of Space Hulk in testing stages in the studio at the moment, but it
is very much on the back burner, due to other studio projects.

40k Seminar:

Lots of Info from this one:

Index Astartes: The first book, coming out in January 2002, IIRC, details the
first 4 SM legions. This is planned to be an ongoing series with 4 books, one
approximately every year, for the original 18 SM legions, with new minis
accompanying the book. For the release with this, there will be plastic Space
Marines for the Iron Warriors and Emperors children (with an add-on mutations
sprue, and specific bits for the Emperors Children), a Bike squad and a Bike
commander for Whitescars, and a tactical squad for Dark Angels.

The Dark Angels tactical squad box includes the minis I mentioned earlier, the
robed DA and the Plasma Cannon marine. One of the changes to the DA list will
be Plasma Cannons for tactical squads. Apparently, the Deathwing and Ravenwing
will receive rules fixes, but the main DA list will not have many changes.

Necrons: The Necrons will be released around March/April next Year, with the
new plastic warriors, and metal stuff I mentioned earlier, as well as a monolith
tank, a dreadnaught type, and another new close combat type (as well as the
wraith).

The other close combat type was called a clawed one, or something to that
effect. It was humanoid in shape, with bladed hands. The new Dreadnaught type
(not shown) is named the Tomb Spider, and releases scarabs. The monolith tank
(model not shown, only pictures) is vaguely pyramid shaped (but not pointy) with
four large guns on either face, and a green glowing bit in the middle,
presumably the teleporter. The monolith will be released 4 months after the
Necron codex is released, due to the fact the model was redesigned at quite a
late stage. Also shown was the new Destroyer model, based on the sketch from a
few years ago (the one in Inquis Exterminatus), basically a floaty Necron with
no legs, and a cannon.

Apparently, the Necrons relation to the C�tan is something to the effect of the
Necrons worship death, and the C�tan are what they sacrificed themselves to (and
presumably the rest of life in the galaxy 65 million years ago). Both are
pre-human and pre any race in the 40k Galaxy.

Codex: Chaos Mk II: This will be released after the Necrons.

Of the stuff I purchased, there is one thing I must mention, the Forgeworld
Warhound Titan. I�ve seen it slated all over the place, because it doesn�t look
like the Old Warhound, but I have to say give it a chance, its an excellent
mini. It fits very well with the most recent Titans, is very detailed and
poseable, has weapons that can be changed over on ball joints, and *does* have a
hound head (its not so obvious from the pictures, but it does).

Anyway, that is all.

Rob