IG Squat regiments

From: <eivind.borgeteien_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 14:08:50 +0200

Hi

I have a dull day at work, and Jyrkis mail got my brain working� (Did I hear an � Oh no!� somewhere?)

Much of the Squat homeworlds have been taken over by the Imperium, either by conquest, diplomacy or gunboat-diplomacy (I really wonder how this might work on the stunties, but its GW fluff, not mine!)

Either way, the Imperial Army has recruited squats into their forces for quite some time now and I wonder what an IG Squat regiment might look like.

They could off course be drafted into the standard organization like most of the imperial troops are, but I can imagine that the stubborn little fellows rather would add their own touch to the organization, based on their own traditions and culture. I think they also could keep some of their traditional equipment, especially things that already are in the imperial weapons arsenal. Things that are not in the imperial arsenal should be very limited.

I have made some rules on how to build an IG Squat army, but this is still in the process. I would really like some feedback on certain things.

Companies: Moral and breakpoint will be as pr std IG rules. Same goes for command radius. Every company gets a free commissar.

COMPANY CARDS

The main question is if the squat infantry should keep their rerolls. (reroll 1 on CC once, 1 and 2 vs orks.) What do you think? If we reduce this thing I would suggest they at least get to reroll 1s vs orks. Im all open to suggestions here, what do you think?

The IG training is not nearly as hard as the original Squat training; therefore, I will reduce the CAF of the berserkers to +1. That way they will be the same as IG assaults.

In all other respects, I think they should keep their current stats. (Yepp, 3 attack for the thunderers. After all, you don�t get any support companies! See below.)

The standard IG infantry companies will be replaced with a modified version of the standard Squat infantry companies, and would look something like this: (The cost and VP will be sufficiently reduced)

Brotherhood: 10 combat stands, 5 Thunderers, 5 berserkers, 2 commanders in rhino

This can be a tricky one as we here have units within a company witch perform quite different combat-roles. The thunderers are the oldest and most seasoned warriors, so I suggest that they can be given orders even out of command radius.

Iron Breaker Squad: 10 combat stands, 2x5 berserkers, 2 commanders, 1 leviathan.(Separate VP for infantry and leviathan)

I think they could keep the Leviathan here, but unless it is bought as a special card, it won�t give any bonus to command radius. What do you think?

Hellbore Brotherhood: 10 combat stands, 5 thunderers, 5 berserkers, 2 commanders, 1 hellbore.

I B Hellbore Squad: 10 combat stands, 2x5 berserkers, 2 commanders, 1 hellbore (Separate VP for infantry and Hellbore)

Mole Company: 3x10 combat stands, 3 x moles, 2 commanders, 1 termite

Termite Company: 5 berserkers x 3, 3 termites x 3, 2 commanders, 1 termite

Artillery:
Grand Battery: 5 Thud Guns, 5 Mole Mortars x 2, 2 commanders, 1 rhino.

All other squat company cards goes out.

The IG tactical, support, assault, gorgon and rough rider companies goes out in favor of the companies mentioned above, but you can bye any other company cards from the IG army list. (I cant really picture a stuntie on a horse charging over the battlefield :-))

SPECIAL CARDS
Away from the Squat home worlds, the imperial logistics can�t handle the heavy support and maintenance of the special war machines of the squats. Also, any squat psycher would be dealt with in an early stage by the inquisition so none of those would remain in imperial service. Any squat Grand Warlord would be replaced by a more trustworthy imperial service man. (NO, not service person! The squats would never allow to be ruled by a woman, and not even the Imperium would unnecessarily upset the Squats :-))

Therefore, all squat special cards go out, but you can bye any special cards from the IG army list.

SUPPORT CARDS
Warrior Squad: 10 Combat Stands
Berserker Squad: 5 Berserkers
Thunderer Squad: 5 Thunderers
Termite Squad: 5 Berserkers, 3 termites
Mole Squad: 10 Combat Stands, 1 mole

To add more flavors to the army I would also allow some other squat support cards.

Goliath Mega Cannon: 1 Goliath Mega Cannon
Iron Eagle Squadron: 3 Iron Eagle Gyrocopters
Overlord Airship: 1 Overlord Airship

I�m not quite sure on this, what do you think?

The IG tactical, support, assault, gorgon and rough rider support cards goes out in favor of the cards mentioned above, but you can bye any other support cards from the IG army list.

I would really appreciate any feedback here!

To summarise, the main questions are:

Should we keep, modify or discard the in CC rerols?
Should the Thunderers be affected by command radius?
Should the Berserkes have their CAF reduced to +1?
Should we allow the Leviathan in a company card?
Should we allow the allow the goliath, iron eagle and overlord support cards?

This is my main questions, but any comments are of course welcome!

Regards
Eivind