RE: [NetEpic ML] Re: Netepic Background

From: Tom Webb <Webbsoft_at_...>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 20:34:50 -0000

I suggest www.role-play.co.uk for some excellent fluff.

Tom.
  -----Original Message-----
  From: Peter Ramos [mailto:primarch_at_...]
  Sent: 30 October 2001 13:11
  To: netepic_at_yahoogroups.com
  Subject: Re: [NetEpic ML] Re: Netepic Background

  Hi!

  hehe, I thought a lot about you Luca before I posted this. I may have
found a compromise.

  We could divide the timeline is eras and purposefully leave a specific
time frame abstract. This way anyone can accomodate a specific amount of
time, but everyone uses the same "era" shell. This is as follows:

  Era of Legend (note names are suggested for sake of example)
  This is the era the Emperor is born following the sacrifice of many driuds
whom foresaw the arrival of the chaos gods. Most information of this era is
speculation only the emperor knows for sure (and even him may not know).

  Era of Guidance
  The Emperor guides the fledgling human race to technological achievement,
never directly, always from shadows. Main events of history as we no it in
real life can be traced to the hand of the Emperor

  Era of Technology ("Dark age of technology")
  A long spanning era. Man achieves great technological hiehgts and
colonizes the galaxy. A lot to flesh out here, mostly everything in 40k tech
was invented during this time. The STC's are the product of this age.

  Era of Strife (Age of strife)
  Warp storm fragment the human empire. Eldar civilization is nearly
destroyed. This period is long enough to account for mutant stranis of
humans- like squats. Formation of Eye of terror.

  Era of Man
  This era encompasses most of the "official" GW fluff, it can be divided
into:
  1) Horus Heresy- Perhaps we can finally make a consistent version, GW has
changed this a bit from original version
  2) Age of stagnation- a varible period of time (as long or short as you
like), due to fear of chaos, as a consequence of the Heresy, man was
stagnant technologically (and morally), repression and witchhunts are the
norm.

  Era of change ??
  We could evolve the timeline beyond what GW has. Examples:
  1) Has the Emperor died? Did the Starchild come?
  2) How would the Imperium evolve or collapse?
  3) How would man deal with the invasion on all fronts?
  4) What new technologies evolve?

  This Era has ENDLESS opportunities.

  As you can see everyone uses the same framework, but how long each lasts
is a matter of taste. As a matter of fact you could play in different eras
and rules for epic gaming in each could be made.

  Peter