(Net) Epic answer and comments

From: mitchtanz <askari_at_...>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 09:45:49 -0000

Hi Everyone

(MSW) I started with the 'new' Epic 40K as my first introduction to
GW 40K universe. I used this system for 6 months until I came across
the Netepic website in 1999. Then I realised the evolutionary path.
Being dumb, I had not recognised Epic 40K as derivative of Space
Marine, which I had played a couple of games, years before.

Interesting perspective. I think most net epic players played the
older version, tried epic40k and switched to net epic. It cool to
hear from someone who started with epic 40k and switched to net epic.

(Peter Ramos)What caught your attention about net epic? Why did you
switch?

(MSW) Ever since I was 18 (I'm 45 y.o.a.) I have primarily been a WW
II wargamer. I did not even look at GW stuff till relatively lately.
I was given the old WD 156 (December 1992) to read and the `Chaos at
Kadavah' by Mark watts and Richard Helliwell which is in fact a SPACE
MARINE battle report. I had no interest in 40K world before that.
Because it was a mass army miniatures combat game I was interested. I
have never been terribly in the skirmish 40K till after I brought
Epic 40k, so I am one of those who were seduced/marketed/targeted
into 40k Skirmish GW mainline because of : quote
` temporary marketing product to draw gamers into mainline 40K and
Warhammer'. It worked in my case I was introduced to the whole world
of 40K.

Now do not get me wrong; I play Chaos, Tau, Eldar and sometimes Space
marines in 40K and love it for what it is. I do not try to make it
something else though I do experiment with `House Rules'.
However after happily playing Epic 40K for six months, about 14 times
if I recall, I wanted something deeper and more comprehensive like
the WW II rules (Spearhead-WRG WWIIetc..) I played in WW II.

I typed in EPIC into my search-engine hoping for `House rules' and
found Netepic on the original website in 1999. I would still play
Epic with a group of like-minded individuals as I do not distain the
Epic 40K of Jervis Johnson but much prefer NetEpic. I use allot of
non-GW miniatures (Heresy) in my Epic40K even sometimes in 40K (worse
Heresy).

I really can't see that the two - now separate - systems could
be `joined' but would like to see both develop more and perhaps there
can be an friendly `in tune' together now??

I mean, is there a compromise `escalation' of Basic Start-
Intermediate Section-then Advanced, in one ruleset combining both
Epic 40K and NetEpic – I think that may be stretching the situation
too far, and more to the point would GW powers agree to that?

Regards
Mitch