net epic suppression (is it necessary?)

From: Albert Farr� Benet <cibernyam_at_...>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 16:43:52 +0100

Hi,

I've been thinking about all supression rule proposals and I discovered that the most I think about it, the most sure I feel towards forgetting about a supression rule. I realized that the BIG problem of approaching to a supression rule is the wide range of diferent units in NetEpic. Almost every proposal launched in this list has very good points to use with some armies (mainly imperial) but is unable to get a good deal with others (mainly orks, eldar, squats and Slann).

In the end this leads to unbalance (which, at the same time, leads to this annoying smell of Gorgonzola...). If we want a good rule on supression, we should care about the points I listed in a previous mail plus these ones:

- Ork mobs. Remember that most ork infantry units are composed of 15+ stands. These leads to 2 problems at least: They are too many and they can be so spread over the table, that allocating many shots against some of them could not mean, in any case, to supress all of them.
    Imagine a mob of 19 boyz, 10 on open field over a total distance of, say, 40 cm and 9 of them in neighbouring woods. THIS is a problem, because you need 19 shots to supress them, and it's quite possible you have no chance to fire at all of them. Even more, it's possible your fire arc only covers 8 stands on open field. Could you supress 12 stands you cannot fire at? It's not logical captain Kirk.
  Of course this could apply also to any unit which is partly out of sight. You cannot supress the whole unit by putting some of them under heavy fire.

- Squats, Eldar, Slann and similar armies composed of small (and few) units. Though their small numbers are balanced with good or very good morale, in the end it seems quite easy to eliminate returning fire from them.

I'm afraid that our playing system is not designed to allow supressive fire without a whole redesign of the firing rules (which BTW is a very, very bad option). I am for forgetting about adding supression under this rules and keep the idea lurking until a major redesign is done (if ever).

Albert