Re: [NetEpic ML] Revision 5.0 guidlines

From: Albert Farr� Benet <cibernyam_at_...>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 00:36:12 +0200

Hi,
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Peter Ramos
  To: netepic_at_yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, April 02, 2001 6:14 PM
  Subject: [NetEpic ML] Revision 5.0 guidlines

  Hi!

  Well it seems we will light the candle so lets get going.

  This revision will have new guidelines as compared to those previously
  done and will to be to a depth and a degree not seen since 1.0/2.0.

  This means EVERYTHING will be re-evaluated. This doesn't mean it will
  all change, it only means it ALL gets reviewed to insure that the
  information is correct, accurate and unambiguous. This means the
  revision will be a line-by-line affair of ALL books.

  In addition to this, for the first time the rules will be divided into
  "Basic" and Advanced". While this will predominately affect the core
  rules some units or abilities of units will be designated as advanced.
  Note both "basic" and "advanced" rules are CORE rules. Optional rules
  and units are held in a separate part of each book designated
  "optional".

  We will review each book in the following order:

  Core rules
  Armies of the Imperium
  Defenders of the Imperium
  Chaos
  Tyanids
  Eldar
  Squats
  Orks
  Slann

  These are the guidelines;

  1. Each book will be presented in turn, line-by-line on the mailing
  list. Members will comment on the wording of the rules (how best to
  express the rule) as well as pertinent cross-references with other
  germane rules.

  2. If a problem is perceived with a rule or stat line it should be
  pointed out, discussed and voted on before proceeding to other points.

  3. Extra care should be put into omissions of the rules or vital points
  not expressed within them.

  4. Once a book is done a "vote of confidence" should be made to make
  extra sure all points pertaining to a book are done and acceptable. This
  can be informal (its okay e-mail) or formal (full fledged vote).

  5. Books completed and "voted on" will go to an editor to include
  changes and make sure that what was agreed shows up in the book

  6. Once edited it will be made available in the files section of the
  mailing list for download and further comment.

  --->I suggest, in order to avoid a huge rulebook, to try to shorten rules as much as possible, specially basic ones. Perhaps a way to improve this idea would be adding a FAQ at the end of each book (or separately). We could leave shortened rules, and if clarification is needed refer to complementary FAQ, with a link or numbering FAQ (as in Avalon Hill rulesets and FAQ).

  Of course, rules should include the minimum information needed, so a search for basic details on a unit doesn't mean looking up&down constantly. I always say that it's better a big FAQ book than a big rulebook.

  This idea needs would mean a little effort in synthetising, but it's just that, an idea...

  Applied or not (this idea, I mean), I keep suggesting adding FAQ, as this is a major help when you are playing. Asides from extracting conclusions from rules discussions in the list, we could extract some Q&A from the discussions. I mean, Q&A that might be a bit distant to add to rules, but perhaps interesting for players (veterans or not) to have as side support. I can't recall any specific question at the moment (Perhaps reminding that greater daemons cannot climb buildings?), but I expect many questions about limit situations which obviously won't go to the rules but may be interesting to have recorded. Just in case...

  (more below)

  What is needed of YOU!

  While I will be posting in e-mails the line-by-line revision, calling
  for votes and tabulating results, I would need people to volunteer as
  "project leaders". A project leader will be in charge of ONE book. Note
  that more than one person can be the project leader for a book and it
  would be preferred that several to each book exist in order to reduce
  overall works and guarantee the least amount of errors.

  The project leader is responsible for:

  1. To record and upkeep a file regarding the FINAL decisions on the
  wording/corrections/changing or a rule or stat. Note you need not keep a
  record of all transpired e-mails on a subject pertaining to you book,
  just the final conclusion. This file should be updated as the
  discussions progress and be available to me and others that may need it.

  2. To review my postings of the line-by-line revision from the
  corresponding book (you need a copy of version 4.1) to insure I don't
  jump/skip/omit anything

  3. When the revision for your book is completed, I will send you a copy
  of Emiliano's 5.0 template for you to include/change/omit whatever is
  necessary. Please note you are not required to "edit" the book for final
  presentation. Just to make sure everything that was done is in ONE file
  for easy access for future editing.

  4. Once edited for final presentation it will be returned to project
  leaders for re-review.

  Categories for project leader are the same as the books to be revised:

  Core rules
  Armies of the Imperium (this one requires at least two people)
  Defenders of the Imperium
  Chaos
  Tyanids
  Eldar
  Squats
  Orks
  Slann

  In addition to project leaders we need editors. People with professional
  editing experience are preferred if we can get them. Note that Daniel
  Wolf is current "head editor" and other editors will work with him if
  his time permits; if not another Head Editor will be chosen.

  Finally there is NO time limit on how much time this will take. It gets
  done, when it gets DONE!

  Peter

  ---> When I returned from holidays (yesterday), I had more than 400 mails (more than a half from Netepic) in hotmail waiting to be read (Imagine my face...). Adding this to the fact that in the next three months I will have little time for outside university activities (one year to go!), I realized it is better to not take responsabilty on this. BUT I'll promise that I'll try to give as much feedback as I can about the revision. I think it's better this way than trying to do sthing which I'm not sure to be able to handle in the long run; causing much disturbance to a lot of people who had worked very hard (and adding another stone to the Southern-European-Impredictabilty-Myth :-) ).

  So, for the moment I'll keep lurking until I find those little moments to write to the list.

  BTW I'm glad there is no deadline in this project. This way rules can be revised in full and we will avoid GW typical incoherences due to hurries (and comercial interests, of course).

  Albert Farr�

  P.S. Has anyone heard anything about the so loudly promised hearing-about-feedback-from-outside-GW-team for their new epic project (Armageddon, wasn't it?)?

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor