Sv: RE: [NetEpic ML] Scarab Protectors

From: <rune.karlsen6_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 22:31:24 +0200

My comments below :)

> Fra: "Peter Ramos" <primarch_at_...>
> Dato: 2002/04/10 Wed PM 09:44:38 CEST
> Til: <netepic_at_yahoogroups.com>
> Emne: RE: [NetEpic ML] Scarab Protectors
>
> Hi!
>
> I would like them to come back in some form. I liked the idea; problem
> was they were either unbalancing or not easily implemented.

Yes, that is a problem. We need to keep it simple, yet worthwhile.

> To issue them as a support card would be good, since they would be
> internally controlled by the number of slots available.

Yep, thats what i thought also :)

> As for what an upgrade would constitute, that's up for grabs. I would
> rather it be some sort of weapons upgrade rather than a stat increase.
> For example the unit gets an extra mini-gun or a one shot mantis missile
> or other such weapon. I'd limit it to true slann units only. It would be
> okay to given them to slann infantry or mechs.
>
> Peter

Both suggestions are very good ideas, after all the best defense
is a good offense. I just dont see mantis missiles on an infantry
unit though. I mean, the missile has got to be pretty big since
it requires a vehicle (Mantis missile launcher) to launch it.
Thats why i thought the field itself would be better. The field
generator is probably pretty small, since every Necron units has it.
It only works in close combat, and its logical that the Slann who are
immune against its effect would utilize this in combat.
I just had a crazy idea. We could make some "Necronites", which
would be a Slann cult who worshipped the Necron ideal. They could
parade around in masks painted to resemble Necrons ;)
Seriously though, a mini-gun is a good idea, although its not really
"Necron" in nature, as i picture the Scarab protectors. Id like
to think they're some sort of "personal necron", like the robots
the army is making for soldiers. Today, they are not much more
than recon units, but in the Epic world they might be like having
your own advisor/medic/etc. The Scarabs would most probably be
an implant. You'd be linked to a neuron network, and could download
anything, do database searches, record visual/audio, conduct
transactions and just about anything else you can think of. This
is hard to implement in Epic, so if anybody has any suggestions,
id be very happy to hear them :) It can be narrowed down to
offensive powers or defensive powers. Offensive powers are
either weapons upgrades, better tohit roll or better initiative(which isnt possible to implement for single detachments). Defensive powers are either better armor save (which isnt needed, nor wanted), some sort of shield (which is already implemented in the fixed save of the battlesuit), or the necron field. Well, there is a third option, which is both offensive and defensive in nature, and that
is to give them a warp pack, but i think that would be much too
powerful and would unbalance the units. I really can't see them
with an extra weapon either. What hand would hold it? Many Slann
have two weapons already, and a third would be mounted where? :)

Rune