RE: [NetEpic ML] Command unit targeting Part II

From: Peter Ramos <primarch_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 15:35:29 -0400

Hi!

Gotcha - makes sense now. I agree that there shouldn't be a way to
create
unassailable positions.

Can we add the statement that the targeting restrictions do not apply to
anything other than direct fire at the HQ unit? That would cover barrage
weapons (you have to target a valid unit, and manage to hit the HQ only
as
a 'bonus'), buildings (you can still fire at other stands in the
building,
and the building itself) and non-command transports carrying an HQ unit
(such as a Thunderhawk).

---->Sounds reasonable. I intend to break this explanation down and give
a step by step axample of the different caveats.

I'd prefer that over allowing you to recognize HQ units as soon as they
step into a building - they should be harder to identify and target.

Perhaps we can add a comment in the "Picking a Target" section to the
effect of, 'if a normally untargetable unit (such as a scout or HQ unit)
does something to attract attention and stand out, it may be fired
upon.'
So if an HQ is the only unit in a building, and it fires out, you can
return fire even though there are closer infantry out on the ground. It
also means that scouts can be fired upon from beyond 25cm *after* they
make
their attack.

---->That's getting a bit too fiddly, I'd leave it as recommended,
perhaps some realism is sacrificed but some things must bow to
playability. The main purpose is to reduce command unit abuse and I
think the guidelines given do that as simply as can be expected.

Peter