RE: [NetEpic ML] Unit special ability: Elite

From: Eivind Borgeteien <eivind.borgeteien_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 13:06:36 +0200

I think this one is a very good idea!

Eivind

-----Original Message-----
From: Jarreas Underwood [mailto:jarreas_at_...]
Sent: 25. april 2002 04:24
To: netepic_at_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [NetEpic ML] Unit special ability: Elite

>>An Idea I had was to let them make a 5+ roll or so to switch their order
>>counter in the same way as a SM commander
>>Weasel

>That's a good idea too, how about elites just starting with no orders
>and "pick one" when they are activated and act in the limitations of
>those orders? It would simulate their tactical superiority.
>Peter

I am of the opinion that the ability to change orders is very useful and
should be equally rare. Entire companies that can pick and choose the best
orders? *That's* a bit overboard. It also makes the Warlock's and SM
Commander's ability much less unique. On the other hand, anyone that
manages to survive a 40K universe long enough to become elite deserves some
sort of special ability.

That being said, here's my idea:

Elite: Units are hardened veterans of countless battles and have both the
skill and luck to survive this one. Elite units get three special abilities:
 1) They get +1 on any morale roll.

+++++ This is why Veteran Marines have a 1+ morale roll instead of 2+. The
cost increase over Tactical Marines reflects the cost of making them Elite.

 2) They have an improved chance of surviving a Titan's close combat
defenses, 4+ instead of 5+.

 3) They allow re-rolls. The controlling player gets one counter per
detachment (three per company). A counter may be spent to re-roll any one
die rolled by any Elite unit. You may use as many as you want at any time,
but each counter only allows a single re-roll of a single die. Counters
also can't be used for anything *but* Elite units (you can't use them for
initiative).

+++++ I'm imagining one counter per detachment of 5 or 6 infantry stands
costing 2-400 points, so 3 per company card. In a 3,000-point army you can
buy three elite companies and a special or two, so maybe 12 counters total.
Given the number of dice dropped in an Epic battle, allowing that many
re-rolls isn't all that big a deal.

+++++ Allowing the counters to be used on any Elite unit takes care of the
problem of keeping track of which detachment has used it's re-roll.
+++++

Example #1: A player takes a Veteran Marine Detachment and receives an
E-counter. Late in the game, a Veteran Marine stand has an opportunity to
fire at a HQ unit. The player rolls a "3" and misses. He spends the counter
for a re-roll, this time getting a "5" and hitting the HQ.

Example #2: A player takes a Veteran Marine Company and receives three
E-counters. The last Marine stand at an objective is fired at and hit. The
armor save is 6+, and the player rolls a "1" and fails. He spends a counter
and rolls a "5", spends another counter and rolls a "3" and, spending his
last counter, finally rolls a "6". The Marine lives.

Example #3: A Thunderhawk Gunship carrying a Veteran Marine detachment gets
shot and fails it's armor save. A counter cannot be used to re-roll the
armor save as the Thunderhawk is not an Elite unit.

+++++

What do you think? I'm passing on the 'gang-bang' ability where Elite units
can gang-up in Close Combat. I've never found this all that useful, but
that's me. What say everyone else?
-Yar