Re: [v5.0] Buildings and fortifiactions

From: ex_nihilio <ex_nihilio_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 12:20:03 -0000

HI!
i�m new to this list i�ve been reading it for 2 weeks. I�ve played
epic for just about 12years and net epic just trough the last year. I
play with Squats.
This with direct fire weapons that cannot damage buildings how does
this work with the Cyklops quite strong cannon? Should that be a
special rule for the army list?

sorry for my bad english its not my native tounge.
//Patrik

--- In netepic_at_y..., "Peter Ramos" <primarch_at_c...> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Unlike, the previous parts of the review where I listed what was in
the
> book I will engage in free form discussion of these topics because
the
> amount of rewording/mistakes/changes is so high that a re-write is
need.

> I am dissatisfied with the current building rules due to the
following
> factors:
>
> 1. It's all or nothing. Either it falls on a failed save or it
doesn't.
> There is no "in between". Buildings don't always just fall or stand
they
> get slowly pounded into rubble by artillery of pounded somewhat
faster
> by more specialized artillery.
>
> 2. There is no defensive bonus for being in a building. You can
assault
> a defensive structure but there is no "benefit" for the defending
unit
> to be in the building CAF don't change. It's the same odds out in
the
> open as in a building.
>
> 3. How do you hit a building? There are no clear and fast rules. IS
it a
> regular to hit? Is there a bonus? When you hit a building with units
> inside can you hit the building or the units? Or both? Too many
> unanswered questions.
>
> 4. How much "protection" does a structure afford? IS the "to hit"
> penalty enough? Or is something more needed?
>
> 5. As they stand the siege rules are incomplete. Granted siege
games are
> not that common, but it IS common to use a bunker or two as
objectives,
> so we need to define those rules better so as to use in regular
games.

> The current rules where instituted in version 3.0. They were an
offshoot
> of the AT rules. It's a shame I did not "push" the issue more and
just
> adopted those rules in total. They answer quite a few questions.
Note,
> that I'm not proposing new rules the AT rules are the oldest rules
for
> epic and their rules have about 14 years of testing. I will first
> mention the rules then what "patching" we may add.
>
> Buildings
>
> In AT terms all structures had a "damage rating" basically hit
points or
> damage points. We can call then "structural points". The saves we
keep
> as we have them know, on 2d6. A failed save usually subtracts ONE
> structural point. Some artillery (namely siege artillery like
griffons
> and bombards) do more structural damage per failed save than
standard
> artillery.
>
> Here are some examples of what building saves and structural points
> could be:
>
> 1. Wood/adobe/ non-concrete or steel structures (i.e Orks huts).
Save-
> 9+ on 2d6, 1-2 structural points
>
> 2. concrete, steel re-enforced (i.e standard imperial building).
Save 6+