Re: [NetEpic ML] [v5.0] Core rules: fortifications

From: Weasel Fierce <septimus__at_...>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 14:51:11 +0000

>Bunkers
>
>It has a save of 2+ (like all fortifications) and units within get the
>4+ save. Bunkers can't have weapons like a stronghold but we can let
>light artillery pieces be placed in them (thud guns, mole mortars,
>etc.). Infantry and light artillery use only.
>
>As a variant we can allow bunkers that will house heavier artillery.
>
>In advanced terms it has 3 structural point each.

Letting light guns be placed in bunkers would be cool. FOr heavier
artillery, use emplacements. Bunkers should be enclosed and wouldnt permit
indirect fire I think

>Emplacements
>
>These are usually made for heavy artillery or vehicles to be hull down.
>The usually cover bonuses apply (-2). The emplacement has a save of 2+
>and offers the unit within a save of 4+ (use this one or the models save
>if better). I wondered about this. Most vehicles have a higher save than
>4+ so the bonus isn't that great. I wondered if a +1 bonus to the armor
>was a better representation? Opinions?

How about a 5+ fixed save? Most weapons have troubled penetrating a yard a
concrete and some dirt and sandbags.

>Trenches
>
>Infantry and light artillery only. Cover modifier -2. I need comments
>on:
>
>1. How is a trench destroyed?
>2. Does it have a standard fortification saving throw?
>3. What can cross a trench (unit types)

Tanks should make a die roll. On a 1 they are destroyed (they get stuck and
cannot move)

Also, non-infantry assaulting a trench should get a penalty of -2 CAF or so.
A tank cant really do anything against a trench.

>Razor wire
>
>Usually destroyed by models with deathrollers or bulldozer blade (like a
>gorgon). Titan/praetorians destroy wire according to the width of their
>base. Knights ignore wire (they walk over it), troops with rocket/jump
>packs and skimmers do so too.
>
>All other units MUST cross on advance orders.
>
>Anything to add? Save?

Wire should only be targetable by artillery. Engineers and such should be
able to cut it away.

Weasel