Re: Re: Re: [v5.0] Core Rules addition - Common Special Abilities

From: Jarreas Underwood <jarreas_at_...>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 11:58:22 -0400

>> Independent: The detachment can go anywhere, regardless of
>coherency, chain
>> of command, Hive Mind or other restrictions common to the army.
>
>They already have an ability worded exactly like this (at least in my
>Codex :P), and it also have the same name! My only doubt is about
>placing this ability in this Common section in the rulebook, since it
>pertains only to Imperial Guard...

Not really - all Titans would have it, as would any unit that can ignore a
general army restriction. Tyranids have the Hive Mind radius, and
Independent-instinct units can go beyone that. Orks have the Nob command
radius rule, and a number of units that can travel beyond that. Imperial
Guard has the Chain of Command and cavalry. It's a very general ability.

>By the way... abilities listed here aren't ALL the special abilities,
>just the common ones.

True. I'm of the opinion that any ability that applies to more than one
type of troop should be put in the core rules. It's only a few more lines
of text, and it prevents folks from having to read all the rulebooks to
learn about all the special abilities. That's one of my harps about GW -
every codex has it's own special rules.

>This may be obtained by giving them the Stealth skill, instead...
>what you think about it?

Stealth only applies when you're in cover, and I'm *not* going to define a
mass of infantry as cover! *laugh*
-Yar