Re: Re: [v5.0] Core Rules addition - Common Special Abilities

From: Jarreas Underwood <jarreas_at_...>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 15:19:15 -0400

>Giving HQ to this units (Psykers, etc.) is done to limit their
>targettability, not because they are really HQ units.
>
>We can obtain the same effect with the Stealth skill, so why bother?
>
>antichrist666it

Hm... good point. Both abilities indicate that the unit is hidden in some
way - but in different ways. I've a few problems with combining them.

First, Stealth only works when the unit is in cover. HW only works when the
unit is within 10 of things it's own size. The tactical implications of
that are different. What if an HQ is out in front but beyond 25 from you?
Stealth would prohibit you from firing at it, and that's just not right. I
don't want to have to put a caveat on all HQ units with Stealth saying that
there are times when it works out in the open, and times it doesn't work
under cover. Thus, the need for a different ability.

Second, the implications are vastly different - Stealth is something that
sneaky people do, and Headquarters is something that important people are.
Games are a lot about apprearances, and I really don't want my Glorious
Veteran Space Marine Commander or my Ultra-Violent Berzerk Ork Warlord to
have some wimpy hide-in-the-trees ability. It just doesn't *fit* - no
matter how well the rules may work.

The way I see it, we've got two related, but distictly different abilities:

 1) Stealth: Can't shoot me because you can't see me - nothing here to shoot.

 2) Headquarters: Can't shoot me because I'm surrounded by things that look
like me - shoot at one of them instead.

Comments?
-Yar