The Slann Story (Was Diplomacy)

From: Eivind Borgeteien <eivind.borgeteien_at_...>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 20:15:46 +0200

I was not on this list when Slann 1.0 came out, but have participated
somewhat to get it where it is today. (Even if I speak of them as badguys,
'nid-creators and chaosmachines, Im pretty satisfied with them the way they
are today.)

To my impression, slann 1.0 was for a large part just units copied from the
other armylists and given new names. Theese units where often the very best
units of the armylists. In connection with their original armylist, the
units where OK. OK stats and OK price. But when they where fielded together
with all the other "adopted" units, the result was horribly cheesy!

To showel the army down to a reasonable level we aplied the formula, but for
the most parts, we playtested. A lot! The formula by itself was not by far
enough! We discovered thet one price for a given unit in one army was not
necesarilly the right price for the "same" unit in another army. The units
usefullness varies with what kind of units they are accompanied by.

Thats one of the main reasons why Im reluctant to this formula-project.

The morale of my story is this: We already have a formula, this one is good
enough to provide guidelines for unit costs, but only playtesting can give
us the proper pointcost. No formula can comprehend all these variables.

Eivind