[v5.0] Black Templar vows

From: Jarreas Underwood <jarreas_at_...>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 15:20:27 -0400

>The Black Templars must take one of the following vows
>1) Accept any challenge, no matter the odds
>2) Uphold the honour of the Emperor
>3) Be pure in mind, body and soul

IMHO, all three are too powerful or easily exploited. I could give you lots
of examples, but it'd probably bore and/or irritate you, so I won't bother.
Instead, here's an alternative.

The entire vow idea is neat, but it should hurt you more than it helps -
equal amounts at the *very* least. Instead of changing unit stats, let's
make vows affect *how* the game is played. Take the vow before you set up
the board. Here're a few suggestions:

1) Accept Any Challenge! Any enemy HQ or Command unit (and no other units)
may challenge any BT HQ or Command unit to personal combat. The BT unit
must move into Close Combat as soon as possible and may not shoot any
weapons along the way. No enemy unit may intercept and you can ignore their
Zones of Control along the way. The BT unit gets +4 CAF against their
target. The enemy player may decide to shoot the onrushing fool, but loses
2 Vistory points if any unit other than the challenger engages or shoots at
the BT unit (successful or not).

2) Uphold the Honor of the Emperor! If you're not winning, you're losing.
If the BT player is ahead on Victory Points for three turns in a row, he
wins the game. If he's tied or behind on Victory Points for two turns in a
row, he loses.

3) Purity! The BTs vow to cleanse the battlefield of warp influence. All BT
units get +2 CAF against psykers and daemons. All psykers and daemons must
die for the BT player to win, regardless of Victory Point totals (though
killing them all does *not* give a win - it's merely a condition).

4) Take That Objective! After setup, the BT player designates an objective
marker that isn't on his half of the board. That objective is worth double
points is he has it, and negative 5 points if the enemy holds it or it's
contested.

5) Kill Them! One Army Card of BTs (a Company, Support or Special Card)
vows to kill any one enemy Army Card. The BT troops must enter Close Combat
with them as soon as possible and may not shoot anyone else, and no other
BT unit may engage or shoot at the target. The BT troops gain +4 CAF
against their target. The BT player gets double VP's for breaking their
target, and the enemy gets triple VP's for breaking the the chosen BT Army
Card *before* the vow is complete.

6) Kill Them All! If the BT player is feeling his oats, he can attempt to
obliterate his enemy. The BT player then scores Victory Points as Tyranids
- none for objectives, normal for breaking units and normal again for
killing every last stand in a unit.