RE: [NetEpic ML] [v5.0] Blood Angels proposal; forgot something

From: Jarreas Underwood <jarreas_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 07:57:14 -0400

>I specially dislike this kind of rules of super-mega-hiper
charged-engines/plasma-cannon/shield-battery. This is a typical GW
improving army rule which is absolutely innecessary.

I agree. I like a small number of special rules for a Chapter - like one or
two. The Blood Angels have the Death Company. In the origional rules that's
*all* that was special about them. The only marines who succumbed to the
Blood Rage did it the night before and were formed into the DC. Everyone
and everything else about the Chapter was normal.

Since then, GW's come up with nice little additions to "improve" and army
and help sales. I don't like the tactic, and I don't like translating it
into Net Epic. Regular-scale 40K can have all the nitpicky special rules it
wants - it's dealing with small-scale troops. IMHO, The Net Epic scale is
too large for the vast majority of them to make a difference - and I'd like
to keep it that way.

>-> Blood Angels reliable? We are not talking about hyper-disciplined units
like Dark Angels and Imperial Fists but a bunch of semi-savages who become
bloodthirsty psychopaths in battle.

Where is this coming from? The Blood Angels have the defect of 'their
Primarch's final moments lurk in the subconsious and that battle rage may
come into their consious mind and cause a battle frenzy'. Other than that,
they're as normal as the Ultramarines. No new units, no tubo-Rhinos, no
nothing else.

>->Like I said before, IMO it is easier not to use something
>which exists rather than use something which doesn't exist.

And it's easy to spoil the feel of an army by adding too many little
tidbits. "This is special, and so is this, and so is that, and oh yeah,
this is something *else* that's uniqe about them, and so is this and this
and that over there. Isn't that special?"

You're right that it's easier to ignore rather than create on your own, but
it's also hard to know what to cut out. Minor changes to basic units is
something that's unnecessary and IMHO does not add to the flavor of the
Chapter - it merely adds to the complexity of the game.
-Yar