[NetEpic ML] Re: Defense Lasers and Tank Guns

From: Warprat <warprat_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 00:07:22 -0800

Brian,

I believe you are correct. Have you ever played the computer game Steel
Panthers? If you play the long campain, you can go through the entire
war. Computer game are GREAT for integrating all the charts, tables,
modifiers, etc... into a painless computer computation. Of course
there's nothing better than playing a real human opponent.

Anyway, as you no doubt know, the British had two types of tanks, the
heavy, slow, Matilda types (supported infantry), and the fast, fairly
lightly armored tanks, like the A series. Some of the fast tanks and
armored cars sported heavy machine guns, without the usual 2 pounder.
They escorted the tank destoyers. Machine guns are much better infantry
killers than HE rounds. Heavy machine guns could even destroy lightly
armored tanks and APC's, sometimes. But of course the British system
didn't fair to well, because it was too easy to isolate and destroy one
element or the other. Tanks without HE rounds were defenseless targets
for infantry and anti-tank guns. Later British tanks were quick to
include the HE rounds.

Those who do not learn the lessons of war are bound to repeat the
mistakes. :)

Warprat