Re: [NetEpic ML] Re: Thoughts on Chaos

From: <deaconblue3_at_...>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 13:12:11 -0500

-- In netepic_at_y..., deaconblue3_at_j... wrote:
> Legions have evolved since that time... I don't see Abaddon as
> a "minion" of anyone, not even a Primarch...
>
> -->Oh sure he is. He does their bidding, even if he denies it.
They are
> all pawns, acting on the whims of the four gods. Just because he
thinks
> he's doing it for himself, he isn't.

You sure? I think we are in for a big change in 40k backrgound, but
it's just my sensation...

-->Abbadon may be the second coming of Horus, but even so, he is still
acting out the agenda of the Chaos powers. Even Horus, the greatest of
the Primarch's, one of the most ambitious men in the universe, was a pawn
of the Chaos powers. I don't think the final battle between Chaos and
teh Emperor is yet at hand (though I wrote some fluff about that), and
Abadon is merely the latest in the long line of upstarts who thinks he's
Horus incarnate.

Totally disagree. Every now and then, a raid from the eye of terror
is continuely reported by Imperial forces... 4000pts of a CSM army
just represent that.

-->this all depends on scale (see Design Issues 2 post). What exactly is
4000 pts of CSMs? Or any other army for that matter? And is 4000 pts a
really a "raid?" Or is it more of a full blown assault?

BTW... still here: GW says "A"? You do "A". If I want the possibility
to do "B", the army list should give me the option.

-->Why should you have option "B?" If you're playing WW2 Brits, should
you be able to field a TigerII company? Or should the Japs be able to
field a division of Stalin tanks? Just because you want to? It's a
flawed design concept for a genre, and universe specific system. If you
want that sort of willy nilly freedom with your armies, play E40K or
DSII, they fit that bill nicely. and I never said anything about
adhering to whatever the latest and greatest GW fluff is (ie
nonexistant). Like the eastern Orthodox Church, I froze canon with
40Kv2. Anything beyond that is useles rehashes of fluff retconned into
giving their current model range legitimacy. I much prefer the darker,
more sinister RT era fluff.

Another thing: the actual background of w40k is full of holes...
much, much bigger than the eye of terror...

-->Never said there weren't any holes. But on some concepts, the fluff
is rather clear. In any case, when we plug those holes, we should do so
in a manner that makes sense and fits the rest of the fluff, and not just
plug with stuff that would be "really cool." It's like trying to fill a
round hole with a square peg, it just doesn't work. Things must fit, and
makes sense, especially in the larger picture, otherwise it is flawed,
and weak.

Josh R

"No matter where you go, there you are." B.Bonzai