RE: RE: [NetEpic ML] Digest Number 1216

From: <jyrki.saari_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 13:03:54 +0300

-----Original Message-----
From: ext douglas woodcock [mailto:douglas_woodcock_at_...]
Sent: 19 May, 2003 12:55
To: netepic_at_yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: RE: [NetEpic ML] Digest Number 1216

jyrki.saari_at_... wrote:

When you take casualties from CC the enemy is "up close and personal"; if you stay put they'll eventually come for you. Hence the instinct is to withdraw if the situation gets too hot (pushing back).

**** What about the die hards or the stubborn few that rather tha retreat actually perform actions of heroism or just plain suicide? Does this happen enough to consider? I ask as I know that in some 40k games I have seen that heros spring up from no where, obviously we are talking more numbers.

JS: At present _all_ troops are like that; the CC goes on until one side is wiped out, which doesn't happen that often in "RealWurld". My opinions have shifted somewhat over the years, so nowadays I think that in this scale the "few individuals" don't matter that much. Besides, the "no retreat" ones are probably the first to die since they're more eager to fight the enemy.

Unfortunately I can't think of a satisfactory way to blend Heroics&ordinary 'uns together without a ton of rules and exceptions. The focus is either on how _most_ of the troops perform or how the heroes perform. Since the ordinary ones tend to outnumber the heroes by a large marigin I tend to favor the former at this scale.

Jyrki Saari