Re: [NetEpic ML] snap fire and pop-up attacks

From: Peter Ramos <primarch_at_...>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 21:22:26 -0400

thedlx1984 wrote:

>hi,
>
>in a game yesterday (eldar vs ultramarines) we had a discussion about
>snap fire on pop-up attacks:
>
>first fire phase starts, eldar player who has the initiative is happy
>to be able to fire first and makes a pop-up attack with his falcons.
>ultramarines call snap fire against the falcons with 2 landraider
>detachments.
>
>The rules say (p. 16): A unit making a Pop-Up attack can only be
>targeted by units using Snap Fire, since by the time units on
>Advance Orders can react the skimmer has descended behind cover and is
>out of sight.
>
>In which order are attacks resolved?
>As snap fire interrupts enemy movement(and pop ups involve movement
>although it is not the movement phase) we resolved the snap fire first
>(wiping out the falcons) but after the game we both had the feeling it
>should be the other way around as this takes the punch out of pop-up
>attacks.
>
>Any comments?
>
>Oli

Hi!

What version are you using, if its not 4.1, there may be a typo, since
it should read "units on first fire" not units on "snap fire". Snap fire
only occurs in the movement phase and since no pop-up atacks occur then
it can't effect it. First fire units however shoot in the same phase as
pop-ups thus can effectively interdict them.

Here is the except page 15 core rule book under skimmers:

Some vehicles use elaborate anti-gravity motors to move at high speeds
over terrain. This allows the vehicle to ignore some terrain types;
these vehicles are called Skimmers. Skimmers can ignore terrain
modifiers for movement as long as they do not end their movement in such
terrain. If they decide to enter such terrain restrictions apply in full
for the portion of movement spent in the difficult terrain (see terrain
chart).

Skimmers cannot be pinned by other models that are not skimmers and may
move out of close combat in their next move (even if their next move is
in that same turn). However, if the skimmer decides to stay it is
considered pinned for that turn ONLY. Thus opponents may not fire from
outside the close combat since they are considered pinned for that turn.
If the skimmer survives the combat it may move out of combat normally.

Skimmers are able to make a pop-up attack if they are given First Fire
orders. The attack consists of rising above some obstacle that impedes
line of fire and thus gaining line of sight and fire. A model making a
pop-up attack may trace line of sight from up to 30 cm directly above
its current ground position on the table. It may target models normally
from this new vantage point, but models still behind cover remain out of
sight (pop-up does not give unlimited line of sight, only the ability to
use cover to its advantage and a better view point for target
acquisition). A unit making a pop-up attack can only be targeted by
units on First Fire orders since by the time units on Advance Orders can
react the skimmer has descended behind cover and is out of sight. Line
of sight does not extend beyond the edge of a wood or similar terrain
feature so �popping up� does not grant line of sight into the center of
a wooded area. Models that pop-up do not provide line of sight for
purposes of indirect barrages unless they do not fire.

Let me know if this helped.

Peter