Re: [NetEpic ML] snap fire and pop-up attacks

From: Peter Ramos <primarch_at_...>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 13:25:24 -0400

Hi!

>Hi Peter
>
>Yep, there is a typo in the current version 5.G of the core rules on
>page 16 in the box "Special Rule: Pop Up Attacks" it says
>
>...A unit making a Pop-Up attack can only be targeted by units using
>Snap Fire, since by the time units on
>Advance Orders ....
>
>and it would correctly be:
>
>...A unit making a Pop-Up attack can only be targeted by units on
>First Fire, since by the time units on
>Advance Orders ....
>
>-----
>My previous question is answered with that but let me construct two
>examples that might lead to discussions:
>
>a) Assume the detachment of falcons is behind a hill, is on first-fire
>orders and could hit a detachment of land raiders (also on first-fire)
>with a pop-up attack and nothing else.
>
>Land Raiders are activated before the falcons, can they shoot at the
>falcons (although they have not yet performed their pop-up attack)?

No. If the land raider fired before they are sitting ducks for the
pop-up falcon's. That's the cat and mouse game you play with eldar,
saving first fire units to shoot down pop-up units.

>I would say yes from reading the rules but the next example shows that
>this leads to further complications:
>
>b)
>Assume the detachment of falcons is behind a hill, is on first-fire
>orders and has line-of-sight without popping up to a detachment of
>marines and when using a pop up attack to a detachment of land
>raiders. The space marine player has the initiative and wants to get
>rid of the falcons asap.
>
>Can he target the falcons? It is not clear that they will make a
>pop-up attack this turn.

No. Thats why you can only counter AFTER pop-up is taken not before, to
avoind this scenario.

>I think the easiest solution would be to allow fire on a detachment
>making a pop-up attack only in the first fire phase _and only after_
>the pop-up attack itself is resolved.

That is how the rule works current. Perhaps better wording is in order?

>Alternative would be that the land raider player asks the falcon
>player wether he will pop up, if yes he can shoot at the falcons
>first, if no the falcons are limited to targeting the marines later in
>the first fire phase.

Too complicated and the correct rule implementation works fine.

Peter