[NetEpic ML] Re: Slann Revision TRUE SLANN (LONG)

From: ramospeter <primarch_at_...>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 15:16:52 -0000

--- In netepic_at_yahoogroups.com, <eivind.borgeteien_at_c...> wrote:
> OK
>
> Seems reasonable.
>
> What does the rest of you think?
>
> Eivind

Hi!

Behind you guys, I guess I'm the one with most experience with them,
so here my two cents.

I dont play with mech heavy armies. The units are expensive and
slow. Warp jumping is good, but not as good as with Necron
battlesuit infantry. In case of mechs you want them to shoot not
enter close combat, so I find using warp jumps to get better firing
position or retreating from an onslaught their prime use. Unlike
Necron battlesuits where warp capability is and "offensive" weapon
to jump in quick and attack in close combat. So Mechs are SUPPOSED
to behard to destroy by firepower alone, but REAL easy to take out
in close combat if your not careful. All in all this unit is
balanced, more so than several other GW made.

As for the flamers, with such short range you need to close in and
expose these expensive units to counter charges that maybe even two
stands could take it out. I would change it to miniguns based on the
fluff, no game performance. The anti-personel weapon of choice is
the minigun, so the mechs should just have that.

I think you guys should remember that your experience while vast is
number of games, is limited is variety of opponents. You know each
other pretty well and thus your armies reflect your style of play
and counters to your style of play. Therefore, while perhaps in your
group, mechs make a big impact, the way I play they are less so. My
style is more dependant on necrons, their infantry and vehicles.

I played a couple of games with Darius and I remember the mechs were
less than "stuning" in their performance. The necron raiders and
assualt troops with necron tank support were a LOT deadlier.

So I think we should give thought up to what point we are talking
balance or game style.

Also we should keep in mind we are by far MORE HARSH on a army of
our design than the ones we inherited from GW. That is good since we
demand more of what we make, but we shouldn't go overboard. In my
view, the slann/necron army list has gotten playtesting and review
in excess of all other armies and I would debate its better
constructed and balanced than a lot of the other armies.

Peter