Re: R: [NetEpic ML] Squat codex

From: Angel <angel_stranded_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 20:50:55 -0000

Most of it looks fine to me, although I still have to wonder why
Squats never use dreadnoughts. Considering their background, some
sort of powered exo-skeleton wouldn't be uncommon.

I'd like to see Expeditioners have the option of taking vehicles
without using up another support card, if they go exploring so often
they're unlikely to do it on foot.

Squats need FO's, both for artillery spotting and for tunnelers. Let
them finally escape from the mole/termite carriers which are a dead
giveaway to your opponent and totally negate any element of surprise.

I always thought of Squats as falling into three broad categories:

- those who work closely with the Imperium, and mostly resemble
the `short IG' so detested by GW for some reason;

- those who live independently of other races, are more inclined to
use tunnelers rather than Imperial vehicles and equipment, and rarely
have allies;

- those who no longer swear allegiance to anyone, not even a
Brotherhood or Guild, and wander wherever they please (this would
also include the "Squats on Harleys" that seem to be a perennial
favourite among the Rogue Trader following).

The first two would be fairly simple, just some selective tweaking of
army lists to either include or exclude Imperial hardware. The third
list would be built around a Guild Biker company card but I would
suggest that all support cards must be either vehicle or cavalry, and
the only artillery allowed must be towable (Thudd Gun) or stowable
(Mole Mortar) on the back of a Rhino or Trike. Playtesting would be
needed to see if they can be a practical army on their own.

The whole list needs a proofread, it has small grammatical errors
dotted about. I'm a copy co-ordinator with the Press Association, so
I'll volunteer to do that when we have decided what actually needs to
be in the finished version.

Steve