Re: [NetEpic ML] Battle, and some observations

From: Peter Ramos <primarch_at_...>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 20:57:09 -0400

Hi!

Angel wrote:

>Just finished a game this afternoon, 3500pts Orks vs Marines. I
>won't give a blow by blow description, just a couple of points that
>surprised us both.
>
>1. Weirdboyz Battle Towers. I'd never used these before, and at
>200pts I thought they were quite expensive. Halfway through the
>game, I realised they were very cheap for what they could do. I took
>a Bad Moon clan, with two Weirdboy Towers. The clan has 4 Nobz and
>15 Boyz, so 19 orks total. That gives a LOT of firepower with no
>risk. Actually I goofed, there were some dreadnoughts within the
>25cm range so the Weirdboyz actually had 21 points of power. Their
>heads didn't blow up, and they smashed the Marines to bits from the
>back of the board! One tower wiped out a whole Terminator
>detachment, still inside their Land Raiders, in one round - and with
>a -5 TSM they didn't even get a bail out roll. That was a turning
>point, none of his forces could get close enough to hurt the
>Weirdboyz without being blown to pieces. Later on I just kept
>shooting with them, risking the headbanger, and when one did blow up
>it took out half the clan as well. But the battle was pretty much
>over by then, and the remaining Boyz ran over to the other tower to
>keep it operating at a safe level. Are they worth 200pts each? They
>are worth 300, at least.

They used to e 100 points and were increased. They seem like a good
deal, but roll that 6 and you'll find a good part of your army
evaporated. The more you bring the greater the risk, so I think it
balances out.

>2. Rhino stampede. When the Marines saw what happened to the
>Terminator detachment, they quickly jumped out of their Rhinos and
>held their ground against the oncoming Orks. I sent two detachments
>of Spleenrippas up one side to outflank them. They caused a bit of
>damage, but the Rhinos (which weren't doing anything else once they'd
>unloaded their Marines) turned and charged my Spleenrippas! Neither
>of us had any CAF, so it was down to numbers and the Rhinos won
>easily. 3 Rhinos for 50pts, they're very cheap and can afford to
>take a few casualties. The Spleenrippas were twice the cost but were
>effectively battered out of the game! Must remember that tactic, use
>a whole swarm of Rhinos and charge into something, sheer weight of
>numbers will win the day.

Rhinos, like some other units in other armies are good units at a cheap
price. The SM have disadvantages, so the rhinos compensate those. Some
whould counter argue that rhinos are useless, but you have found a use
for them.

>3. Pulsa Rokkits. Nice try, didn't hit a goddamn thing with any of
>them.

As with most ork weaponry, it either does a lot or nothing.

>4. I took a detachment of hop-splat artillery, towed by warbuggies.
>As soon as they got within range, all but one of the hop-splats was
>wiped out by a Tactical Marine Company. The one remaining gun was
>virtually ignored, but it continued to fire anyway. It hit again and
>again and again, and must have taken out half a dozen Marines and
>several Rhinos by the end of the game. Nobody fired back at it
>because they had more important targets to shoot - Stompas, Nobz
>Bikeboyz, etc. The lone gun survived the game and was declared Ork
>of the day :)

Hop splats are wonderful guns, yet are under used. I'm glad you
discovered there use!

>5. Forward Observers and Orbital Barrages. Does that card only
>entitle the Marine player to one single barrage? I know it's free,
>but the FO cost 100 pts and the barrage didn't kill that much in
>points! What is the FO supposed to do for the rest of the game?

They can be used for your conventional artillery to make direct
artillery strikes even though they dont have direct line of sight. Very
useful.

>6. Super Heavies. Marines don't have any. We only realised that
>when I put 5 SH's in my army (2 Skullhammas and 3 Stompas) and he
>didn't have anything to stand up to them. What do Marine players
>recommend to use instead - take SH tanks from the IG ally list?

You hit upon one of the disadvantages of the SM army. To counter it the
most effective way is to bring suitably armed titans. A pair of warhunds
with suitable weapons are wonder super heavy killers.

>All things considered, it was a fun game. The Orks won, but that's
>not the point - it would have still been fun if they'd lost (I
>laughed just as hard when my Weirdboy blew up half his own clan).

Glad you had a blast and thanks for sharing your experiences with us!

Peter