Re: [NetEpic ML] Some thing about V5

From: Kelvin Henderson <kx.henderson_at_...>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 11:21:49 +1000

> It's possible. But there's no Vyper with
> this option in Epic.

This would make it special for the Farseer then. Upgrades are not really
viable in Epic. Sure, the idea of the Siam-Hann Squad with Shuri-Cannons
rather than Shuri-Cats is a nice idea, but that would be the limit IMO.

> Their cost can be lowered.

I don't like lowering the costs of too many units. The thing with eldar is
thast they have basic troops (Guardians) and high-cost elite troops
(Aspects). This is part of the army's flavour. The other thing is that
these Aspects had these stats in the original Space Marine that NetEpic is
based on and we have tried to stay true to that wherever possible.

> > Note also that SM have good CC abilities but
> > against Aspect warriors thier strength is (or
> > should be) higher numbers and firepower.
>
> In the fluff, SM aren't more numerus
> than eldars.

Actually, they possibly are. There aren't very many Craftworlds left. The
Fluff suggests less than 100. The Space Marines number many, many
Chapters, with no-one sure exactly how many there are (one piece of fluff I
have read says there are over 1000 of them). Its possible that there could
be more Marines than Eldar.

> Ok. I never played them because I don't like
> Rogue Trader era books and fluff (a rough copy
> make with bric-a-brac, here a little and there
> a little). I prefer second edition fluff (more
> homogeneous and rational) for 40k fluff and
> Warhammer RPG for Battle fluff (or WFB 2).
>
> Everyone to his taste I suppose...

Really? I found the Rogue Trader (RT) fluff far more interesting and
in-depth than the 2nd ed fluff. It was much darker, more brooding and
hopeless than the 2nd Ed or the current fluff. Those Realm of Chaos books
were great (HEAPS of background material) as well as the three Ork books.

> Note that Warhammer Fantasy Battle 2nd edition
> (and RPG) is older than Realms of Chaos Books.
> More "original". Mardaag nostalgia...

Actually, Realm of Chaos and Warhammer RPG were usable with each
other. The Realm of Chaos books were designed for use with the Warhammer
RPG and both 40K and Fantasy.

> > Rhinos have A LOT of tactical uses, just experiment :-)
>
> I banned them from my chapter.
> They're not usefull and not versatile.

While I'm not a big SM player, I found Rhinos were very useful. They would
boost up assaults, form protective screens and help capture
Objectives. I've seen them used very effectively in a dense terrain set-up
to block passes and force the enemy to hit the Rhinos first, then get
blasted to pieces after the assault by the units behind on Advance
Fire. Very effective tactic.

> >> Nope. Gods no. SM are already fantastic.
> >> Infantry small arms have a 5+ to hit across
> >> the board and it takes a special exception
> >> to move it down to 4+. Only truly elite
> >> troops should have a 4+.
> >
> SM are elite troops...

Nope. Have to disagree here. SM are Special Forces. SM Veterans are
Elite troops. When I say elite troops, I mean the cream of the crop. The
absolute best you have to offer. Sniper are elite troops for shooting (its
all they do), Dark reapers are Elite shooters (they only train to shoot and
have targeters to help), SM Veterans are elite troops (they've been a round
a while). SM infantry are NOT. They are well trained and very good, but I
DO NOT call them elite.

-Kelvin....

"All power corrupts. Absolute Power is kinda neat."