Re: [NetEpic ML] NetEpic Future (Crippled units)

From: cibernyam <cibernyam_at_...>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 14:36:20 +0200

> I'm not suggesting doing away with the army cards as they currently
> exist. I have four armies (including the unlucky Squats) and they
> are all organized along the lines of the Space Marine and Titan
> Legions army cards. I wouldn't shoot my army in the foot that way!
> I merely suggest that we add more army cards to make it financially
> feasible for people collecting Citadel's current range of Epic models
> to field them in the game. This is especially important for newer
> players who missed out on the Golden Age of Space Marine when we had
> plastic Land Raiders and Titans and such.

A possibility would be to recover the point cost per stand or unit or
unitary point cost. Thus, there could be way of testing units, either one on
one or in small groups. I think that if you own 10k or more points of an
army you will have spare units anyway. Just think in the old plastic
sprues... I will never finish the IG beastmen company! It's the best thing I
can produce on using different unit sizes. But still I think that we should
keep on the same army organization as long as possible. Unless we start to
worship Tzeench, of course...

Another possibility I thought about would be to add a "crippled units
detachment". Sort of unit with spare tanks and units with lower stats and
reduced price. I had this idea when thinking in campaign games where you
bring part of your units from one batle scenario to next battle scenario.
Not all destroyed stands are killed, some are just wounded, scattered or
demoralised to keep on fighting. Some of them could then be recovered to
fight next battle although probably with some "scratches" on the armour
plates. Thus the "crippled" status.

Let's say an optional rule that could be used in campaign games or scenarios
in this way: units broken (or all units and stands destroyed) in the last
scenario can be recovered with X % of force with units in crippled status.
You can mix units from several detachments even if they don't fit the usual
army cards. This "crippled detachments" should use "crippled" stats for
their units and have a -1 or -2 permanent morale penalty. Both from
attrition and for fighting in such irregular unit.

On crippled stats we could use: half movement, -1 or -2 to hit, armour
saves, reduce STM with +1 to a limit of 0. Weapon distance could be also be
reduced. Depending on the penalties, a fair and balanced unit price should
be used: Y % of the original unitary cost could be used and then round up
when unit is finished and adjust VP and BP accordingly.

Albert