Re: [NetEpic ML] A Rant and a City...

From: Peter Ramos <primarch_at_...>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 19:01:33 -0400

Hi!

Great site Stephane, I enjoyed it thoroughly!

The topic of epic and GW mistreatment of it is one I have indulged in a
lot on other forums I frequent.

I agree that epic has now future while GW tries to keep it as part of
the "main studio".

For those of us who have been around GW for a long time, we know that
company wants all its fans playing 40k or fantasy (I doubt LoTR's will
last long....). All its marketing, resource allocation and effort points
to this.

Fanatic was only a good idea if it were indeed autonomous. That fallacy
was proved conclusively and bluntly. If such a company, could exist,
then such games could florish. But given that the whole of Fanatic games
produces about 5% of GW income (according to Jervis), its abvious that
GW will give it little thought.

Compare that to second edition space marine/Titan Legions sales of 7-10%
in the US (circa 1995). The enormity of how far epic has fallen is
staggering.

The funny thing is that Netepic, as a community project, actually grows
with such adversity. Why depend on GW for rules and miniature lines that
never materialize? Netepic provides some welcome constancy and
continuity that not even GW provides.

As a side not, real life has Jar and myself pretty tied up, but some
time will come soon and we hope to push 5.0 to a conclusion. Given
Fanatic practical demise, Netepic's role becomes critical.

Peter