Re: [NetEpic ML] GW business "in trouble?"

From: Peter Ramos <primarch_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 17:11:56 -0400

superpeon_2000 wrote:

>Hi, my first post here. I must say I love your site, and your Net
>Epic rules are fantastic!

Welcome to the group Pete! Hope you enjoy your stay here.

>Back on topic, I gave up on GW when it was clear that they care more
>about money than actually making their product good. I confess, when
>I was younger, I was drawn to GW because they were just what I was
>looking for. Going back ten years, I could get 15 skeletons for $A15
>and that was perfect for a teenager like I was then.

GW has changed it outlook to gamers long ago. Its a larger corporation
now and we're a source of revenue. The days of the more "hobby
enthusiast" are long gone. Quite a shame.

>Now, the prices are unbelievable. Races such as the Tau and Necrons
>basically require you to buy high priced tanks...all the more money
>for them. I think it started when they listed on the stock
>exchange...money is of more value than loyalty. As many of you here
>would, I guess, agree, Epic 40,000 was a simplification of the rules
>aimed for a much younger market. Same with 40K. And that is where
>they lost me, along with the spiralling prices.

The prices are indeed crippling. I beleive they have reached the point
were the prices are driving people away. There's only so much you can
increase prices....

>So now, the only games I play are 40K 2nd Edition, Epic Spacemarine
>(or better still, Net Epic!! :D) and WFB 4th edition.

While the older rules may not be as mechanistically elegant as the more
modern rules, they do have that flavorful feel that endeared them to us.
I view modern GW games as having "no soul".

>Sorry if this is long winded, and I apologise if this is not the
>right place for this. But I think that a company which does what
>they did will eventually feel the bite eventually.

The occasional GW rant is always welcome.... ;-)

Peter