Tunneller questions & comments

From: Stephane <kotrin_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 15:58:27 -0000

NetEpic rules for tunnellers are (thanks God) very different from
their original version. Yet, I have several questions / comments:

0. NetEpic rules state that now a tunneller emerges on any turn on a
D6 roll of 2+. Even the first one, right? And this ground exit is
unrelated to the distance between carriers, deployment zones, etc.
Correct?

1. The tunneller emerges D6x10 cm away from the intended point on a
scatter, and "only" D6x5 cm when the carrier can see the landing
point. Isn't that a bit... Extreme? I mean, up to 60 cm dispersion in
the worst case, and even 30 cm if you do your best! It means that you
are likely to end up off table, unless you play on a large area and
target the middle. With all the 30 stands for a Hellbore, ouch!!
This is problematic for fortifications too, because since you want to
end up behind enemy walls, the carrier can never see the exit point;
and because of modelling, a fortress has more chances to be on the
edge of a battlefield than in the middle. Not too bright for a unit
supposed to be used in siege battles...

2. Where are all the profiles for tunneller carriers? I'm browsing
the Squat army book at the moment and can read that the Hellbore
comes with a command rhino for spotting, but what about Mole and
Termite? What are their save, their movement, CAF, don't they have
any weapon, not even a point defence like a stoopid rhino?! (BTW, I
don't even get the point of a command rhino for the Hellbore since it
comes with a carrier too, and a large one at that).

3. Can the carrier move during battle, or do they have to stay on
spot to guide their underground tunneller? Difficult to tell since
their profile don't appear in units stats... What can do a carrier
once the tunneller is out in the open? Destroyed?

4. Can the tunneller stay underground indefinitely? Is there any
drawback if the carrier is destroyed, apart from the scatter? If
true -as I think - it would be a bit gamey tactic against Tyranids,
since they have to destroy a whole company... Put one stand of two
companies each in a termite and dig, just to see how a Tyranid
Dominatrix can start to cry!!

Thanks for your replies and comments :)