Re: [NetEpic ML] Re: Suggested ammendments to Space Marine Army List

From: cibernyam <cibernyam_at_...>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 00:14:05 +0200

Hi all,

I'm afraid I'll have to disagree.

First: because of fluff reasons. I don't think many chapters have a whole
company of vindicators or predators. SM do have a reasonable amount of Land
Raiders and Rhinos, but the Rhino variants are more a support item than
core.

Second: because of balance reasons: SM are an (expensive) infantry based
army. They have reasonably good light tanks, but in few numbers. If we add
two tank company cards it will be possible to make a SM tank army (or an
army heavily based on tanks) which I think covers the lack of heavy
firepower the marines suffer. A Land Raider company provides 20 dice at 75
cm 5+ to hit, a Predator company would increase this stats by 50%. Besides
that, note that except for scouts and bikes (optional) no SM company costs
less than 750 points. A vindicator company ould outstand as a cheaper
company for the SM, which is not very good for the balance IMHO.

As it is now, SM are forced to take expensive infantry companies and use
tanks as support. The sole exception being the Land Raiders, mainly for
fluff reasons.

That's my two cents on adding those companies to the standard list; if they
are to be added to a codex army, then I have nothing to say against it.

Regards

Albert