Re: [NetEpic ML] Re: NetEpic licensing

From: Peter Ramos <pramos10_at_...>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 19:32:19 -0500

Hi!

Gavin, I appreciate this discussion.. A LOT! :-)

Its been a LONG time since I have given this any thought and frankly I'm
quite rusty at many points and quite ignorant of others ( Creative
commons for example).

More comments below.

gavin_brown_2005 wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> Thanks for your comments. I have a few of my own...
>
> That's great to hear, and is what I thought would be the case. Given
> what you've said, can I suggest that you add something to the
> introduction that says just that, to avoid confusion? This is as much
> for your protection as for the benefit of the users - unless it's
> clear that you have an open license that doesn't require explicit
> authorisation for derivative works, someone could take NetEpic, throw
> in some content that infringes Games Workshop's IP, but their team of
> rabid lawyers might come after you! And it would take some effort to
> persuade them that you're not at fault.

Good point. Once netepic gold is ready to be released, its a simple
matter to include this.

> True - Games Workshop's prohibition of for-profit derivative works
> will have that effect. But it wouldn't hurt to pass this stipulation
> along as part of a "copyright statement".

I agree.

> One of the advantages of using an editable wiki or similar tool is
> that other people can contribute - there's a phrase in open source
> that says that "many eyes make all bugs shallow" - things like typos
> and inconsistencies get fixed quicker because it's easy for the casual
> reader to click the "edit" button and fix them.

The more I think of it the more I find that needs to be prioritized. I
definitely agree some sort of open sourced document is the way to go.
However until netepic gold is finalized this will have to take a back
seat. But I think it just grabbed the number two spot in priorities. :-)

> I know of some scenarios where a company has released intellectual
> property under an open source/creative commons license, but with the
> additional requirement that the original name not be used. This would
> be like saying "feel free to take NetEpic and make your own version
> that changes the points cost of the Imperator titan to be 100 points,
> just don't call it NetEpic". That would seem to fit the bill.

Another good point. Of course, people could just as easily ignore that
and do whatever they wish, but it would hurt to mention this.

> Thanks again for your comments. I would just add one more thing: the
> Creative Commons movement is very "cool" right now (for example, see
> http://jodrell.net/url/45). If NetEpic was to announce that it had
> adopted a creative commons license, it would be great PR for the
> project and the community.

I will look into this and learn what I can and how we could benefit from
this. Many thanks!

Peter