NE6 Revision: Core Rules

From: <pramos10_at_...>
Date: 26 Apr 2015 12:06:35 -0700

NE6 Revision: Core Rules

So it begins.... ;)

The core rules section is to discuss/debate any tweaks, additions or modifications to the core rules. Turn sequence, orders, etc.

As is my custom during revisions I will list some of my concerns/thoughts/ideas. Of course everyone is welcome to add/discuss these ideas or any others pertaining to the topic at hand.

1. Points formula

For as long as there has been a second edition game and its successor Net Epic, the costing of models and their formations has been done by "eyeballing it". Suffice to say the problems with such a subjective system are many and well known throughout the revisions and years net epic has been about.

I think it is high time we used an objective system, since each players particular perspective on "utility" may be as varied as the players themselves. Therefore a "baseline" as to how things are valuated needs to be implemented.

I am aware of course that no formula can be completely balanced, but it does not need to be. Whatever inequities it may have a mitigated because we will apply it too all models and formations equally.

I propose we use the formula originally made and constructed by Robert Owen Becker​ (Magnus of Taccoms). While it may need further fine tuning it does a great job at taking all the components of model/formation "worth" and assembling them into a means of proper pricing. While we can debate if some aspect of the components may be valuated differentiated (higher or lower) is fine and expected, it does give us a solid foundation on "how" this should be broken down into for a "fair" cost to be applied.

Of course if there are others with their own formulas, we'd be delighted to see them and discuss them, but I would prefer actual systems of cost based on mathematical grounds rather than "gut" assessments. At least for me those types of costing systems have run their course and have failed to bring balance.

Discuss.

2. Fliers

Oh fliers rules, how do I loathe thee! ;)

Anyone whom has played net epic or second edition rules knows that fliers were tacked on as an afterthought and have NEVER integrated well into the core system. They usually wind up either being to powerful or penalizing the player without any fliers.

At one point a flier phase that preceded the standard ground combat phase was done in version 3. It was a disaster and promptly deleted by version 4.

While I have my own thoughts on solutions, this particular point is "wide open" for a good solution.

I have thought of a flier phase, but AFTER the ground combat phase, which would eliminate the issues of such a phase before the ground combat phase that has its pros and cons.

Although I suspect most want something that fits right in the one and only combat phase without having to overhaul flier stats and their attributes.

I'll listen to what ideas you may have before mentioning my own. Hopefully some flier genius can help us out. ;)

3. Effective firing range

There has been much talk about ranges and movement. Since an overhaul is too much to tackle and players feel comfortable with the current values, why not bring back the very simple 1st edition rule of:

Shots that are fired and exceed half the weapons listed range incur a -1 penalty to hit.

I think this goes a long way to solve the often quoted issue of lack of maneuver and just nesting on first fire. A -1 penalty on a d6 roll as we know is quite a penalty and should stimulate to close range to avoid it.

Thoughts?

Those are at least my pet peeves. I'm sure you'll have yours.

Let us hear about them! :)

Peter Ramos​
Net Epic Coordinator