[NetEpic ML] Re: R: new heresy test

From: stefano andreoni <ltremari_at_...>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 16:14:30 +0100

Hi,

> > last saturday we played a new heresy game;
> Alright, comments on the part of the parts of the system I like
> best...psykers. I had hoped to have a more WHFB 3rd Edition/Rogue Trader
> system originally but Peter convinced me that a simplified system (what is
> in there now) would be best for everyone...
Yes I understand what he means but when you have a "lot" of psykers present
(in the case of eldars) you have to constatate that with so many psi points,
spells could be too effective. I know what you mean about the psi points
reserve that each psykers had with WHFB 3rd ediction, but in heresy this
reserve is unlimited because every turn you will receive your full ammount
of psi points. If you limit this replanishement (one o more points a turn,
not the full quota) every player shoud be in the situation to decide about
the usefulness of a spell every time they want to cast something, because a
bad expediture means less psi points for the future turns (as in WHFB 3rd
ed.). For game semplicity I think that this little changement should not
complicate the game.
I think that if someone plays heresy, he play it because he wants more
details, otherwise he will plays epic.

> When I get my Realms of Chaos books back from my friend I'll be making an
> "old sk00l" Chaos list that will include my Advanced Psyker System. I'm
> trying to think of more fantasy-style systems as well to better simulate
the
> close combat heavy Chaos armies.
>
> Fantasy Heresy? You never know....
I will be interested because only yesterday a went to an expo in Bologna
(italy) to see the new GW game Warmaster because, after years spent playng
warhammer, I'm looking for something more tactical and I feel that I could
find something interesting in this game, more similar to DBM then the
classical warhammer, but different from an historical game as DBM for the
fantasy background. I dind't see the demostration (GW political reasons),
but I read the rule book and it looked very interesting, specially because
for the first time I saw a GW game where troops should be the real
protagonist in the battle. One interesting thing was also the army builder,
where they finally state that you have to buy regular troops before elites
etc. this should prevent the speculative bought of specials over regulars,
one interesting thing that also in net epic should be done. In particular
they constructed the single army list stating for each type of troop their
maximun number every 1000 pts of the army. example: empire: halabardiers
2/-, knights -/1 etc. This means that for each 1000 pts. you should buy two
halabardiers (number mandatory if on the left of the slash) and only
(optionally) one knights. Don't you really thing that the same thing should
be done in net epic also?

> > 1) magic system:
> > a) spell selection: there are 15 spell cards for each race, but in
reality
> > only five different spells, this allow that a random selection could,
> > probably, produce a multiple same spell pick up, it is correct?
>
> Each psyker has an individual selection of spells. So yes, multiple
psykers
> on one side could have the exact same spells.

Could one psyker also draw two or more egual spells (i.e. two ot three
psichic lock), or must discard duplicates?

> > b) chaos spell: between the 15 spell cards avaibles, 9 belongs to the
four
> > deities (three for each) and the rest are neutrals. In our game we had
> > magnus a lv. 4 sorcerer and he had to random choose its spells, but we
> > agreed to gave it only the tzeentch ones and one of the 6 neutrals, it
is
> > correct?
>
> Well, I think the intent was to do the random draw as normal, but if you
get
> a Chaos power not of your alignment draw again. Alternately select one
power
> from your Chaos god and randomly select the others from the pool.

This was what we did, because for us was difficult to understand how could a
tzeentchian psyker cast nurgle or slanesh spells. In our case, if we had two
or more same goods psykers we should duplicate the god's spell.

> > c) spells duration: how many turn a spell remain in play?
> > - only for the turn
> > - more
> > i.e. psichic lock.
>
> This would depend on the spell of course. We'll clear this up in the next
> pass.

The problem is that, with the exception for fast effect spells (bolt etc.),
no informations are present on the carts.

> > Wargears: one wargear for every 500 points spent is too, one every 1000
> > could be better.
> > We test (damm eldar) way stones and this only wargear, save of 5+, was
> > decisive, if in a 2500 points game we have 5 wargears we could have too
> many
> > super men.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean here. Are you saying Waystones are too
powerful?
> If so why do you advocate more Wargear? Or are you asking that the
waystones
> be increased in cost?

Yes I say that some wargears are powerfull but if limited, not in power, but
in availability (my proposal was to limit the equation 500 pts. = 1 wargear)
the unbalance could be easily controlled. I don't see any cost for wargears,
did I miss something?

> > Cost formula: I don't understand how the points formula work; I used
> magnus
> > and mortarion, they both cost 400 points, but mortarion has an armor
value
> > of 8 while magnus has 9, magnus has a very good weapon, contrary
mortarion
> > has lower range weapon and little effective, magnus is a lv.4 SORCERER,
> > mortarion not, how it is possible? Also, magnus gives a -2 accuracy
> > penalities to every shoot against its minions, contrary the +1 armor
bonus
> > that mortarion gives is unconfrontable.
>
> I'm thinking the Plague power threw off the point costs.

Unfortunatelly the plague sucks, it is not effective as in net epic I mean
and the sum beam+spells that magnus has are better.

> Peter?

p.s. a missed question that I omitted this morning:
The rules state that thousand sons marines with magnus receive the gift to
cast every turn a tzeentch firestorm spell, but the thing I don't see is
what is the spell range; the spell card state that for each 3 pts (I
remember) your range increase by 10 cm. but thousand sons don't have psi
points and thay can't use points for the range, so they can't cast anything.

Stefano Andreoni