[NetEpic ML] Re: Net Epic Revision: Titans

From: Warprat <warprat_at_...>
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 21:39:40 -0800

Hi Kelvin!

A really like what you have to say! I also agree that Peter has some
very good ideas. As usual, of course!

A couple of points to consider, however:

(snip)
These are some of the best Titan weapons of all IMHO. I LIKE the rules
the way they stand. Sure you can't use any other weapons when you use
the Destructor or Cannon and the Destructor stops you moving next turn.
Who cares? Put it on a Fire Support Titan. Destructor, Fire Con tower,
Chain Fist and Melta Gun are my favourites. It just stands up the back
and shoots once per turn with the Destructor. If anyone gets too close,
you haven't been shooting them enough. But just stay on First Fire and
when they charge you, let loose with the Melta Cannon and then use the
Chain Fist. Easy.

If we make the Destructor and Cannon drop shields, no one will take
them. I certainly won't. I like them as is.
(snip)

Nice setup, Kelvin, very nice. But I never take the Plasma Destructor,
because of the no move, low CAF penalty. I seem to end up playing
against the Dread Wolves (Space Wolves), a lot. Drop Pods are very,
very common, along with Thunderhawks loaded with screaming Blood Claws
and Wolf Priests. Any titan armed with the Plasma Destructor, would be
swarmed by infantry. In a less mobile game, however, I think your titan
would work great. But of course, every race has a form of fast
transport.

To me, loosing the shields, would be no big deal. They aren't usefull
in close combat. But I can see how their loss would affect your
stratagy. Perhaps, this weapon should not be adjusted.

(snip)
And as to the Deathstrike variants, I'd like to see some newer versions
of them come up. The Warp Missiles are supposed to be almost as hard to
produce as the Vortex Missiles. But the IG use them everyday? Yeah,
right. Perhaps the IG should just get two versions: an Anti-Tank and an
Anti-Personnel missile. Nothing fancy.
(snip)

I don't have access to any fluff material about Warp Missiles being rare
like Vortex Missiles. The very fact that IG can use them, makes me
think that the Warp Missile warhead should be common.

At the risk of being a annoying (When have I ever worried about that?),
In my not so humble opinion, I think that Epic/NetEpic, really needs the
Warp Missile. I will repeat my Warp Missile idea:

Warp Missiles scatter twice, so hitting the head of a titan, is hardly
quaranteed. Of course, when they do hit, the combined die roll is
almost always going to max out. This is the real problem. The reason
that Warp Missiles need to be adjusted.

How about reducing the warhead? Roll 2d6, but only use the highest one.

Vortex missiles, hit about 45% of the time. They destroy all shields.
They do d6 hits, and your opponent gets to CHOOSE where to roll damage.
This weapon needs to be a Special Card.

Compare the Vortex missile, against the Warp missile. The Warp missile
is a very wimpy cousin. Yes, it ignores shields. But something needs
to be able to counter a fire platfom/titan armed with a Plasma
Destructor, Fire Con tower, Chain Fist and Melta Gun! My modified Warp
Missile, gives that chance, without guaranteeing a 6 result. And
without guaranteeing a specific hit location. Can it kill, yes, but
it's hardly guaranteed.

Imperial Guard Deathstike missiles are very slow, and can be shot down.
Again, a modified Warp warhead, should not be such a big problem. Let's
use the flight restrictions used by Nils and his gang. Only up to 2, 45
degree turns per turn, with a min. of 10cm between turns. This will
prevent cheese.

I agree that the Deathstikes need to replace the Harpoon missile. I
favor this combo. for Deathstrikes:

1) Warp Missile, with modified warhead, of course.
2) Barrage Missile.
3) Some kind of anti tank missile.

Well, what does everyone else think?

Warprat ;)