[NetEpic ML] Space Wolves

From: Warprat <warprat_at_...>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 01:30:22 -0800

Hi Kelvin!

(snip)
> >Watch out Dread Wolves! The Penetrator mode will be, just right, for
> >destroying bunched up Drop Pods. And the Shotgun mode, usefull for
> >thinning large concentrations of screaming Blood Claws. Now, how can I
> >kill that, always has nine lives, Wolf Priest? Hmmmmm....
>
> Well, the Cheese Wolves are just getting what they deserve if you ask me ;-).
(snip)

Yes, the Space Wolves are quite powerfull, in hand to hand. And one
reason why my good friend and I pitted his Dread Wolves against my more
orthodox Ultra Marines, in a three game series. One win apiece, and a
tie.

Space Wolves have SOME weaknesses:

1) The company card is limited to three types. Terminator/Regular Great
Company and the Land Raider Company. They are predictable.

2) The Great Companies lack Devestators. Only the Terminators have a
negative modifier. Titans and armor are more effective against them.
The Long Fangs are expensive, and lack range.

3) Due to the large detachment size, Space Wolves are less flexable on
the battlefield.

4) Fewer Special Cards, because of the company card costs.

One house rule we used, was that to get flyers, you had to use a Special
Card. 350pts of air, per card. This meant that the Ultra Marines
always had the potential to have more air units, because of the ability
to choose a Scout Company. We also limited the Terminator Great Company
to a max of four, in any game, regardless of points (The suits are of
limited quantity).

Our point limit was 5000.

A couple of lessons learned:

1) The Wolf Guard Terminators are fearsome! Of course, you try to shoot
them at range.

2) Due to the large detachment size, it's easy to pin a large amount of
Space Wolves, with not a lot of units. Sacrifice a few units to pin a
lot of troops, concentrate on the rest of them.

3) Drop Pods are hard to defend against, and can paralyze your army, if
you fear them too much. React to them and contain, rather than try to
defend everywhere.

Our three game series proved, to me, that the Space Wolves are not all
that cheezy. Certainly not, Limberger, quality! A couple of changes, I
would suggest, however:

1) Increase the cost of the Terminator Great Company, from 950pts to
1000pts.
2) Decrease the cost of Long Fangs, from 250pt to 225pts, or maybe even
200pts.
3) Increase the cost of the Wolf Priest, from 100pts to 150pts.

Warprat ;)