[NetEpic ML] Re: Titan revision: Eldar

From: Warprat <warprat_at_...>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 19:00:43 -0800

Hi Peter!

Well for me, there is little confusion. I just don't like the Titan
Defense System, as it applies to titans and small amounts of
infantry/vehicles. I find it ludicrous that a Reaver Titan armed with a
Chain Fist (CAF 3d6 +12) should fail to utterly smash a Beastman (CAF
2d6 +3).

Yet, this same Beastman, has a 1 in 6 chance of getting a good chance at
damaging the Reaver. You don't see a problem here?

The problem could be worse though. Imagine a detachment of Eldar Jet
Bikes attacking a titan's reactor from the rear. Each Bike has a one in
six chance of destoying the titan, the +3 CAF will get through the
armor, every time. Who needs a Warp Missile?

Let's look at the point values:

Beastman, cost 20pts. Chance of damaging Reaver: 1/6 to survive, then
the Reaver must save on a 5+. A very nice return, for a small
investment. I'll take those odds, every time.

Reaver, cost 550pts. Cance of destroying Beastman 5/6. Under "Normal
Close Combat", the very worst result, would be a push.

If the Titan Defense System, also allows stomp attacks, at the same
odds, then I say, "Please, crush my Beastmen, Mr. Titan".

Yes, against large infantry swarms, the Titan Defence System is the
titans best friend. I find it ridiculous, however, to allow "Cheese"
to continue, however. Perhaps, turning off the Electrohull, is not the
answer. But, a better way must exist, to solve this problem.

OK, how does this sound?

1) Any unit within 1cm of a titans base, at the beginning of the Close
Combat Phase, will fight one round of combat.

2) The Titan Defense System (Electrohull, gas, spikes, poison, thick
armor, fear of titans, etc...) prevents small units from getting the
normal additional extra die in Close Combat, for additional attackers.

3) Infantry and normal vehicles get to add a +1 modifier, for each
additional unit involved in the Close Combat.

5) The normal units, attack in one coordinated assault. Total up all
the infantry and vehicles with thier +1 modifiers, use this number as a
"Group Modifier" to the CAF of the infantry/vehicle designated to be the
"Best Chance" of this group, to hit in Close Combat.

Roll 2d6 + Group Modifier + normal CAF of Best Chance unit. All normal
units are destroyed, regardless of the results.

6) Super Heavies and above get thier normal CAF, and add an additional
1d6, as per normal Close Combat. Any previous "Group Modifier" is also
added. Super Heavies and Knights are destroyed, if they lose.

Titans and Praetorians take one hit on thier templates. Which template,
is determined by the direction of "Best Chance unit, or individual Super
Heavy and above sized unit. Normal infantry/vehicle ground units can
only damage the legs, other units can choose any location.

7) Additional damage to the same damage location, is cumulative for the
duration of the Close Combat Phase.

Example: Five infantry, two vehicles, a Beastman (Best Chance Unit),
and 2 Baneblades are in Close Combat with a Reaver armed with a Chain
Fist.

This is resolved as three Close Combats.

A) The 7 infantry and vehicles add an additional Group Modifier of +7.
The Beastman is designated to be the Best Chance unit.

This is resolved as 2d6 +7 (Group Modifier) +3 (Beastmen CAF).
Total= 2d6 +10. If the titan loses, it takes a hit, in the legs. All
the infantry and vehicles are destroyed, regardless.

B) Assuming the titan survived the leg attack, the Bane Blade attacks
next. 2d6 +7 (Previously used Group Modifier) +8 (CAF of Baneblade).
Total= 2d6 + 15. If the titan loses, it takes a hit, in the legs. If
the same leg is hit, damage is cumulative with the previous damage. The
Baneblade is destoyed, only if it loses Close Combat.

C) Assuming the titan survived the second leg attack, by the first, now
destroyed Baneblade. The second Baneblade Close Combat is resolved.
3d6 (+1d6 for first Baneblade) + 7 (Group Modifier) +8 (CAF of
Baneblade). Total= 3d6 + 15

What does everyone else think?

Warprat ;)