[NetEpic ML] Re: Eldar Holofields

From: Kelvin <kx.henderson_at_...>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 08:54:39 +1000

At 08:53 AM 3/16/00 +0100, Lorenzo wrote:
>When I was reading, one idea come up for Holofields ... what about
>remain with the old rules but _any_ barrage shot against Holo-protected
>thing (even direct) _must_ scatter as indirect, after all if you relly
>don't know where something is you cannot directly fire against it, this
>sound more simple and fit more with the idea of Holofield.
>
>Opinions?

This is a really good idea that I had tossed around for a while, but in the
end I rejected it. Why you ask? It's a matter of targetting. If there
happen to be Eldar units gathered around the base of the Titan and the
opposition fires a direct barrage at said units he will be mighty honked of
if this is forced to scatter because of the Titan's Holofield.
Alternatively, the Eldar Player will be mighty honked off if the barrage
does NOT scatter becuase the barrage is not targetting the Titan, but the
troops.

This will eventually lead to one of two problems:

A. People playing the Eldar will simply say they are not specifically
targetting the Titan in order to avoid the scatter - "Oh darn, look. Your
Phantom just HAPPENED to be caught by the barrage. Shucks."

B. Eldar players will abuse the protection of the Holofield by clustering
troops around it so as to force the barrages to scatter - "Oh, you're
targetting my Wind Rider host with that barrage? But it hits my Titan!
Holofield scatter please! I don't care if you don't want to hit my Titan,
it still does! Why do you think I placed all the Bikers there in the first
place? Scatter please! No, I still don't care if all 3 of your Bombards
can see them clear as day, scatter damn it!"

See the problem? And if you have never played against the type of people I
have quoted above, come to Brisbane and I'll introduce you to a who club
full of them! This is why I proposed my other options. The scatter is a
really good idea, but would be really hard to implement without a whole
plethora of special rules.

-Kelvin....

         "Of course I'm paranoid!
       Everyone's trying to kill me."