[NetEpic ML] Re: Why all the changes? was: Flyers revisited yet again!

From: Butch Hobson <fog_at_...>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 19:17:55 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: warprat_at_... <warprat@...>
To: netepic_at_... <netepic@...>
Date: Thursday, March 30, 2000 5:18 PM
Subject: [NetEpic ML] Re: Flyers revisited yet again!

>Hi Peter!
>
>I like the idea of listing several alternatives, so further playtesting
>can
>be done. Flyers are SO powerfull, they deserve a lot of thought.

Personally, I'd like to see flyers left as is. In the games my buddies and
I play, I've come to realize that flyers just don't make that much a
difference. Of course, we don't take "All Flyers" for support choices; we
kinda limit ourselves. But even so, flyers, by themselves, cannot win the
battle. They're pretty expensive units (especially if they're taken down in
a dogfight), and they can't hold objectives.

Limiting them to Special Cards or in number really won't serve any purpose,
except severely dropping the amount of flyers you'll see on the board.
Everybody has differing playing styles and I can't see penalizing somebody
who likes using flyers.

It's like Eldar Holofields. People have "bitched" enough so now, we have a
rules change (I play Eldar, and really see nothing wrong with Holofields the
way they currently work). If we change too much, and start limiting some
units or make them more powerful, we're going to lose the game we enjoy by
unbalancing it.

I've seen some rants about Space Wolves being too cheap for what you get.
That's just silly. They're more expensive than normal Marines. And like
normal Marines, are very limited in the Vehicle/Firepower area. The Blood
Claws special "howl" isn't a serious threat and the Long Fangs weapon range
is only 50cm and they still cost more than normal Devastators. Leave them
alone; it all balances out.

I'm just starting my first Chaos force. In terms of consistent firepower,
Chaos sucks! Any unit that shoots decently or has more than 1 attack dice
is pretty expensive. CAF's for many units particularly KHORNITE units are
relatively low. But what the hell? It's the way the rules and army lists
were set up. I'll use them that way. You can't have your cake and eat it,
too.

It comes down to how effectively a general uses what he has. Perhaps it's
time for everybody on this list to field a completely different army/armies.
Maybe the one(s) that give you the most problems. After awhile I'm almost
certain you'll find that it really is a matter of play style and not army
lists.

we now return you to your regularly scheduled program