[NetEpic ML] Re: Why all the changes? was: Flyers revisited yet again!

From: Peter Ramos <pramos2_at_...>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 20:47:40 -0600

Hi!

I agree we should be cautious and not change too much, but the bottom line
is that we haven't! If you saw the summary I posted it all went down to 5
changes, mostly cosmetic for some units or weapons and we actually ARE going
back to the original rules by eliminating the old flyer phase.

In essence we are just "tweaking" of course we should not tweak too much,
but up to now we haven't changed much. Only stuff with clear majority vote
has passed.

I have played all the armies extensively for as long as the game has been
around and it bugs me that some units NEVER see the light of day. From a
game design point of view if people are not using them something is wrong
with it or at least perceived that way and that deserves a closer look. What
I want is basically that all units be worth taking and units living up to
their cost. For the most part 95% or more of the costs as they are I can
live with. Its that remaining 5% I'm after.

In truth I agree with Butch on the holofields, I have for a long time lived
with its shortcomings just fine, but also I have heard bitching and moaning
over the holofield issue since the original suplement came out. The
concession that seems to have found favor is a small one in truth, but gives
some comfort and lets eldar player sfinally use their titans, even if the
problem was one of perception. I was sort of tired of being the only eldar
player in my neck of the woods who used these in every game. If a change can
get more to use them, great.

As for flyers, I agree more and more with those that want something very
close to the original rules, if not the original rules themselves. Its
easier, familiar and tested. The reason for all the changes that it has
undergone is due to the fact that once Aa weapons were introduced,
transports wound up being nearly worthless. That has a 180 degree shift from
before the AA guns appeared when they were too powerful.

The search for a happy medium, I guess, got out of hand. In reality I can
live and perfer the old system with some caviats. I will post these
separately.

The bottomline with the flyer issue is that of what to do with transports so
as not to make them too good, but not worthless. I'll post these ideas with
the flyer stuff too.

As I look ahead at the remaing lists only really a habdful of things will
probably be changed, these are:

1. deathstrikes
2. wave serpents
3. doom weavers