Re: [NetEpic ML] Titan Close Combat

From: Warprat <warprat_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 23:42:30 -0700

Hi Jyrki,

I agree, this is unreasonable!

If you review my proposal, you might notice that only ONE unit is used
to LEAD the attack, this unit would get it's full CAF.. The other
Terminators would only add +1 CAF each. So +8 CAF, total. The Termies
might want some Cannon Fodder back up!

The Lead Unit idea is important, because it gives the attacking
infantry/vehicles a reason to use high power units, not JUST cannon
fodder.

I like the idea of an unmodified save! The Terminators, in the above
example would survive the fight on a 5+, win or lose. Marines have
extra training, so this works well, I think. Other infantry, with
saves, would get this as well.

Also, unless the Elite units are used in other rules, I would suggest
removing them, to simplify things.

In considering various alternatives, I eventually discarded the idea of
simply increasing the titan CAF. The titans are ballanced against each
other, pretorians, knights, and Supers.

It is much easier to simply reduce the infantry/normal vehicles CAF.

Also, you might note, that if Supers+ are used along with infantry. You
can resolve those other combats, possibly killing the titan, and not
have to use the waiting infantry swarm at all.

Hits are resolved, immediatly, as they happen.

I would suggest using the titan base, and not the legs, because it's
easier on the minis. Also, when I swarm a titan, I want to do it in
LARGE numbers!

Karlsen Rune wrote:

> What about the titans weaponry? Vehicles with bolters are able
> to fire at charging inf regardless if they're on FF or AF. Shouldn't
> Titans be able to use their non-barrage weapons at charging
> inf?

Good idea, Rune! If a titan is on First Fire, why not. But they should
not be required to, unless they are pinned by that unit. Hey, now they
follow the regular rules again!

What does everyone else think?

Warprat ;)