SoB more than meets the eye?

From: NN <nils.saugen_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 06:54:56 -0000

This Saturday Rune and I played a 5000 points game between the SoB
and the Slann, The SoB fielded a Sister Company, an Immolator
Company, a Rhino Company, a Retributor company and a Punisher
company. They where supported by 2 Predator and 1 Vindicator
detachment, 2 detachments of Cardinals, one detachment of Archangels,
a Justifier special card, a Cleric, a fwd. Observer, and a pair of
Warhounds. The Slann had a Gravguard company and a Necron raider
company, supported by 2 Bullfrog detachments, a Nemesis detachment
and finally two Vanguard special cards.

The battlefield was dominated by a ruined town and a couple of woods.
Lots of cover! The Sisters won the roll for setup, and chose the side
with the most cover. The plan was to catch as many VPs as possible in
the first turn and to defend them and keeping a mobile reserve to
stop any Slann breakthroughs. The Cardinals and the Retributors would
hang back giving fire support. The Titans had one role, suck up fire
in the first turn! If they survived, that would be excellent, but I
didn't plan for that to happen!

The game lasted for three turns, and was a very close race. After the
first turn, the score was 25 – 21 in favour of the SoB, the
second 41
– 37 to the Slann, and the game ended in the third turn 55 –
the Slann. We had equal luck with the dies, except that the Slann won
the initiative in every turn. If the SoB had got the initiative in
the third turn, things might have looked different. Most went
according to my plan, but I chickened out with the Archangels and the
Justifiers, so they didn't see any action at all. I lost because
the
Slann where able to break all most all of my detachments, while
keeping the Bullfrogs and Gravguards more or less out of harms way.

The SoB worked just fine on their own. I take my hat off to Jyrki for
putting together a well balanced army. It appears light on paper, but
looks can be deceiving. I'm working on a couple of units that
I'll
add to this army in due time, and I'm definitely keeping the
sisters
as a standalone army!

What about the Slann then? They have made progression. They now seem
more balanced, but are still a very hard to beat. Each unit, although
small, packs a lot of punch and resilience, making them very hard to
kill. Slow moving opponents might find it difficult to beat them,
because they stop you dead in your tracks by the end of the first
turn. I think you need to try to catch as many VP's as possible
in
the first turn! Concentrate the fire and break one unit after
another! They are very few and not that mobile, so they will have
trouble covering the entire battlefield. Use that to your advantage,
and you may be able to beat them.

Nils