[NetEpic ML] Black Library openday

From: rscc <rscc_at_...>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 19:20:08 +0100

Well well, I must say this is the best GW openday I�ve ever been to. Loads of
ork and imperial pre-release stuff for C: Armageddon, loads of new fanatic BFG,
Epic and Necromunda stuff, and WD248(Review incoming!). Anyway, read on:

My initial fears that there would be no mail order stand(because it was a Black
Library event) were quashed when I walked into the hall. Loads of pre-release
stuff was available for ork, SM and IG players: Commissar Yarrick, Chaplain
Xavier, the 4 Armageddon army boxes, Steel Legion squads, Salamander squads,
The Steel Legion Commissar, Steel Legion weapon teams, Orky Weapon teams,
Ghazghkull, The codex(natch) new ork boyz(tankbustas, IIRC), Steel legion
sentinels, etc. Also on pre-release where some nifty knew metal Space Marine
shoulder pads. IIRC, they had ones for: Blood Drinkers, Flesh Tearers, Space
Marine Librarians, Hidden Chapters one and two(don�t know how the are "hidden"),
Space Wolf rune priests, Tactical, devastator and assault markings, and quite a
few more which I don�t remember. About the BT army box, yes there is a
difference between the Amercian and British versions. The British one
definitely comes with the (not-so) limited edition Space Marine Commander from
Christmas 40k sets.

Anyway, I ended up getting the Steel Legion army box(which comes with Yarrick, 3
steel legion squads and a command squad, 3 SL Sentinels and a chimera), some
extra Steel Legion weapon teams and special weapons/sergeants, The Steel Legion
Commissar, an LR Crusader, Chaplain Xavier and a Salamander Boxed squad. It was
Double Skullz on the day as well, which was quite nice considering I ended up
getting 36 of them.

For anyone wondering, The Steel Legion Commissar is a minor re-sculpt of the
commissar with the powersword and boltgun. He now has a Deathmask/gas mask
thing, like the Steel Legion officers. The advertised version of him on flyers
and stuff, with just a gas mask like the Steel Legion troopers, is not the
version that was/is being sold. Also worthy of note, the salamander boxed
squad(and presumably the BT squad, which wasn�t on sale on its own for some
reason) comes with the new Space Marine Transfer sheet, which now has markings
for 8 different chapters, and for IG buffs, the Steel Legion Sentinel comes with
a new IG vehicle transfer sheet(which may also come with the single normal
sentinel boxes, I�m not sure).

At the forgeworld stall, on display where the new Space Marine drop pod, the
Marauder Bomber and the ork Gun trukk. The Space Marine drop pod was quite nice
apart from the marines which are held inside it, which I must confess to not
liking. Cost: �35 I didn�t bother getting one. The Marauder was absolutely
excellent. The model on display was the finished, much more detailed thing,
with crew, bomb bay, Escape/entry hatches and interior detailing. However, it
being priced at �150 may discourage many from buying it. The Ork Gun Wagon was
OK, for an orky vehicle. Cost: �45. I only got a Ramilies Starfort at the
Forgeworld Stall this time. Also on display where pictures of a preliminary
model of a new forgeworld collectors model, a model of Asmodai(or Saphhon,
maybe)! It looked very nice despite current lack of detail.

The new fanatic team where there in force, with a stall and hanger thing covered
with old epic and Necromunda products as well as some BFG and Necromunda stuff
and the fanatic team(Jervis Johnson, Warwick Kinrade, etc) actually manning the
stall. Lots of new models on display too. Of particular note was an Eldar
Farseer/Warlock(which, strangely, appears to be for Necromunda) with a shuriken
pistol, and an axe type thing. The Warmonger Titan was on display, but sadly
not available due to the fact they hadn�t got the plastic imperator sprues ready
for the kits yet. It looks much nicer up close than it does in the photo on the
GW website. The two main weapons are actually in proportion( the photo would
suggest the death ray is tiny, it isn�t). The Landing pad with a recon
thunderbolt on top is a nice touch. The model code(feck001) tickled my funny
bone. Cost: �20. For BFG they had the new Tyranid fleet models. On display
and available to purchase where the tyranid hiveship(cost �10, with a variety of
weapon fits to choose from), and the tyranid Droneships(cost: �2 each) of which
there where three variant(Feeder Tentacles, Pyro Acid, and Plasma Spine
armaments. I purchased a hive ship. Despite looking like a floater, its a
fantastic model. Its somewhat slug like, and comes in two main parts, and has 7
smaller ones for the main weapon and the six side things. The bottom part will
need some filing to fit perfectly on the top part, but despite that, verdict:
Excellent. Rules for it will be in BFG magazine no.1, which should be out in
august. Apparently there where going to be some seminars by the fanatic people,
but I left before 12, so didn�t see those. CJ39 was there, in its expanded A4
size, with lots of stuff about fanatic, and a the harlequin codex in it.

Also of interest on display/being sold where the Inquisitor video( I wish I had
seen it before at a GD, and known how rubbish it was before I bought it), new
plastic stuff for WHFB(Nice empire knights, one piece empire gunners)and some
other stuff.

Questions? Comments?

Rob