Re: [NetEpic ML] Veteran HQs

From: warprat <warprat_at_...>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 21:35:47 -0700

Hi All!

I can't resist commenting.

I completely agree with what Kelvin says here:

Kelvin wrote:

> I don't like the idea of allowing people to buy Veteran abilities for more
> Regular IG troopers but I DO like the idea of having Veteran Detachments
> and Companies available as Special Cards. You're facing a Chaos CC force
> and need something to help stop them dead in their tracks. You've bought
> your standard rack of IG troopers and are thinking about the possible slots
> to fill for Special Cards. Would the Fire Support Titan be more useful or
> the IG Veteran Company Special Card with their extra +1 CAF (for
> example)? Only one Special Card slot to fill and a big decision to
> make. Veteran IG is a nice idea, but to allow people to take whole armies
> of them is silly. Restrictions like no more than 1 Veteran company for
> each regular company invariably leads to min-maxing cheese armies. But
> forcing people to buy them as special Cards certainly will make them rare
> and more valued. Especially if the only Veteran troops allowed (whether in
> Detachment or company form) are only available as Special Cards.

But I have to disagree on the Marine Commander thing....

To me, it makes sense to make the Commander of the First Company
something better. The Marines are based on the old Roman Legions. The
First Company was the best, and the most respected. To be in that
company was an honor. To lead the first company, was the highest honor
any soldier of the legion could ever hope for. Aside from leading the
Legion itself.

Any soldier, able to lead the first company, would be braver, stronger,
more experienced, and smarter than the leaders of the other companies.
Why not up his CAF by +1? Or raise some some other stat up, just a
little, to give him the credit he is due.

Couldn't resist commenting!

Warprat ;)