RE: [Net Epic ML] Command Range of HQ's and Formation Rule of Detachments

From: Peter Ramos <primarch_at_...>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 17:25:38 -0400

Hi!

What is the advantage of snap fire? I don't understand what it is good for
too fire at your opponent whiel he's moving (beside the case you can SEE him
while he's moving and can't SEE (+SHOT) him anymore when he moved his
detachment)

It has a narrow tactical uses, but important ones as follows:

1. Keeping the opponent away from objectives, remember once he reaches an
objective unless you eliminate ALL units or force them on fall back orders
he gets to claim it, by using snap fire you can try to eliminate the
detachment or force a morale check BEFORE he reaches it thus depriving him
of any possibility of taking that objective

2. Protect units on advance fire. Units on advance fire CANNOT fire at
troops charging them, in effect they pretty much lose their turn when
pinned, with snap fire you can eliminate the attacker (using a closely unto
on first fire) to eliminate as many attackers as possible thus freeing up
these troops on advance orders.

3. Destroy loaded transports. Its always a bonus when you can kill more than
one unit with one shot!

These are some that come to mind.

mmhhh interesting point of view....

I understood the formation rule of NetEpic and Space Marine/Titan Legions in
this way:

100% ok formation rule (proved by a rule-text) :-) :
- models in a detachment (e.g. 6 Tactical stands and 3 Rhinos) can be up to
6cm away from the next model

This is correct and applies to all detachments in the game, but the HQ unit
is its OWN detachment (formed by itself) and thus needs not be in coherency
with other detachments which are independent of itself.

- different detachments of a company have no unit coherency (NetEpic Core
Rules p.10; and i think somewhere in the TL rulebook)

unknow formation rule / how i played it :-) :
- at least one model of a detachment of a company and support detachments
need to be within 25cm of an HQ to be given orders (we played SM/TL always
this; i can't find any phrase in the original rulebooks or in the NetEpic
rules which support that....);
hmmm this one seems to be a little complicated.... maybe anyone can help me;
It could also be that this rule "evolved" this way in our gaming group,
because we confounded it with the 25cm command range rule of the Imperial
Guard.

Any one model from the detachment needs be in command radius from the I HQ
to receive orders, unless a commissar is within 6cm or a detachment which in
that case it need not be within the command radius of the HQ since the
commissar can give order to it. Therefore sans commissar at least ONE model
of EACH detachment that forms the company MUST be within the command
distance of the HQ.

Peter