Re: [Net Epic ML] Slann victorious again?

From: Eivind Borgeteien <eivind.borgeteien_at_...>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 21:07:25 -0000

--- In netepic_at_egroups.com, "Peter Ramos" <primarch_at_b...> wrote:
Hi!
I have some questions regarding the slann rules:

1) The neuro disruptor missiles make ALL units stop or gives them
half movement. The mantis missile launcher has similar weapons but
states that only vehicles can be stopped, other units automatically
gets half movement. Isnt this supposed to be the same weapon? If not,
then why?

2)Can these missiles be shot indirect?

3)The missiles on the vanguard and spawnguard hits on a 5+, while the
missiles on the gravguard hits on a 4+. Are there any reasons why it
should be this way or is it just a typo?

Eivind

 Hi!

> Nice report from Nils! I'm glad to see that the slann balance seems
to be
> holding out. It seems luck had a major part in the battle and had
Rune not
> been so lucky he would have been pounded, of course Nils could have
used
> some good luck too, otherwise the titan would have bought the farm
from the
> nova cannon.
>
> It seems the slann's only hope for victory is a quick and decisive
first
> turn, I don't think they have enough resilience to come from
behind, they
> don't have enough manpower for that. It will be interesting to pit
Tyranids
> against them or orks, since these armies fare a lot better the
longer the
> game goes.
>
> Peter

buildings and
> ruins in the cental sone.
>
> We where all set to go!
>
> After 5 rerolls I got to choose setupsona and picked A
>
> IMPERIAL SETUP/BATTLEPLAN
> I placed the one roughider detacment on the right side,
supported by
> a Shadowblade and a commissar. In the middle I placed the Beastmen,
> supported by 2 detachments of sentinels, 2 commisars and the command
> Shadowblade. On the left I placed the remaining Roughriders, 2
detachments
> of sentinels, the last shadowblade and the deathstrikes. The
artillery was
> placed behind the hill on the right, protected by a detachment of
sentinels,
> with the ordinarius vehicles on the top of the hill overlooking the
entire
> battlefield. The forward observers was placed in the center close
to a
> building that would give them a viewe of most of the field.
>
> I planned to use the Roughriders/Beastmenn to capture 4
objective
> points, using the sentinels and shadowblades as firesupport. The
artillery
> and the Armageddon should first breake the Gravguard, then
concentrate on
> the necron assaults/vanguards. The deatstrikes should be used to
take out
> buildings filled with enemy troops. The Golgotha was to concentrate
on
> taking out the Razor Fang with the nova cannon.
>
> SLANN SETUP
> Rune placed his Titan on the far Right in the outskirts of
the city
> overlooking almost half the battlefield and directly opposite of my
> ordinarius vehicles. He also placed 2 necron detachments and a
gravguard
> detachment there. In the center he placed a necron detachment, the
> vanguards, the Nemesis and a detachment of gravguards. The rest of
his
> troops where placed in the woods on the left side of the board.
>
> PLANS?
> Rune can fill you inn on this........????
>
> TURN 1:
> Rune won the initiative (In all my games against rune I've
only won
> the initiative once in the first turn!!!!!!!!!) Half the Necrons
surged
> forward using their warp jump capability to occupy the hills on the
flanks,
> the other half moved into support possition on the backside of the
hills out
> of harms way. The grav guards in the center and on the right moved
into good
> first fire possitions, while the detachment of the left stayed
hidden in the
> woods. The Vanguards took up position in a building in the centre
of town
> with good line of sight to most of the board! the Nemesis rolling
up in the
> street beside the building. The Titan remained on first fire
prepared to
> rain death on the unfortunate Imperials.
>
> The sound for charge was given and the roughriders on both
flanks
> charget up the hills to attack the necron invaders! In the center a
wave of
> beastmen ran from cover to cover charging through the streets
towards the
> enemy lines. Two commisars and a detachment of sentinels engaged the
> Vanguards in close combat (not all of the vanguards was placed
inside the
> building) The sentitnels and the Shadowblade on the left advanced
up behind
> the calvalry and preperd to kill off any surviving necrons.
>
> Then the Titan fired, blasting away at the Shadowblades
destroying
> one and crippeling the command tank. Then the Imperials fired up
their big
> guns Raining death over the Slann troops. The gravguards got the
worst of
> it, almost breaking the company (1 stand short!!!!). The Titan
luckily made
> his shield save from the full onslaught of the Nova Cannon, or it
would have
> been a heap of smoldering metal.
>
> Then the fighting on the hills began. The roughriders where
no match
> for the slann assault troops, so by the end of the turn, both hills
where
> more or less controlled by the Slann. In the center one commisar
fought
> valiantly to a draw against a vanguard (this should come to be a
> disadvantage for me in the second turn, although it hindered the
vanguards
> to move further!) On advance fire the nemesis tanks killed the
remaining
> Shadowblade and put the shadowblade commander out of his misery.
>
> Score: Slann 34 Imperials 10 ???
>
> TURN 2:
> Second rount the imperials won the initiative, using the
remainig
> roughriders to attack the necorns on both hills. The Slann on the
other hand
> attacked the a beastmen detachment in the center, and to move up
more troops
> into the close combat on the right flank. The Gravguards covardly
withdrew
> from imperial line of sight. However, the third detachment moved
forward
> from the wood to hide in safety behind the left hill, or so the
> thought....... The Nemesis advanced forward into better fire
posistions, and
> the titan remained on first fire. The Beastmen turned left and
moved up to
> the foot of the left hill preparing to charge the hill in the next
turn.

> The nova cannon firerd against the Titan, and
> MISSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The titan retaliated fiering back
at the
> Golgotha, not able to harm the Golgotha the Titan was lucky enough
to kill
> of two bassilisks with its template plasma weapon. Then the Vortex
missiles
> struck. One killing an entire detachment of necrons in a building
in the
> centre of the board also containing a victory point. The secon
killed a
> nemesis tank (this was planned to take out the Vanguards, but I
couldn't do
> that since a Commisar was still locket in mortal combat with a
vanguard
> inside the building) The third missile took out those unfortunate
Gravguards
> hiding behind the hill. A second Nemesis was also destroyed by
artilery
> fire. The close combat on the right was won by the Necrons, in the
centre
> and the right the reslut of the close combat was a tie.
>
> I wasted several shots from the Armageddon and the Artillery
on the
> Titan.
>
> Score: Slann 48 Imperials 21
>
> Slann won again!
>
> SUMMARY:
> Die rolls!!!!!!!!!! I was very unfortunate this time (I seem
to be
> that quite often when playing against the Slann) The Nemesis in the
middle
> made its repair roll if it hadn't done that, the score would have
been 43 -
> 30 (Rune quite often have good luck with the dice and this time was
no
> exception). I guess that if we had played another round I would
have had a
> fair chance of beating Slann!!! Charging the vanguards was a suicide
> mission, the commisars wasn't supposed to survive, yet one did and
that
> secured the Vanguards survival, thats another 5 points (For a total
of 44 -
> 35). I was very close to beat the slann this time, + IG has got som
very
> powerfull weapons themselves!!!!! The Razor Fang is not that
dangerous when
> placed on the far side of the board (just keep the number of
targets to a
> minimum if possible). The Mechs are much more dangerous.........
>
> More testing on it's way, we'll try to get a game going
against