Slann victorious again.

From: Eivind Borgeteien <eivind.borgeteien_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 13:39:27 -0000

Hi!
I read through some rules today and came across a somewhat disturbing
thing in the regard of the battlereport by Nils. Nils fielded a
Deathstrike Missille Launchers armed with VORTEX MISSILES. This is
not allowed. The allowed missiles are barrage missile, harpoon
missile and warp missiles. (This is not all Nils fault, as it where I
who actually suggested it, not knowing the rules)

This weapon took out a nemesis MBT, a detachment of gravguards and
some vnguard. No other weapon worth 250 points could have done so
much damage, so we have to consider this battle as a clear victory
for the Slann. This leaves me with the feeling that we still have
much to do regarding Slann...

Eivind

--- In netepic_at_egroups.com, Karlsen Rune <rune.karlsen_at_e...> wrote:
> Hear,hear! Feedback from one who has actually fought the Slann! :)
> I agree completely. When your opponents takes flyers, you plan for
> that. When your opponent takes Warp missiles, you have to be careful
> with your tactic. When your opponent takes along a titan, you take
> along some titankiller units. Necrons are no different. Take along
> lots of cheap infantry and support them with units on FF or AF.
>

> Rune

roughriders, with no
> sentinels to support them!) and suffered from that, on the other
flank the
> battle was evenly fought, and the beastmen would have made pancakes
of the
> remainin necrons on that flank in the following turn.
>
> My point is, even though the Assault Necrons is a very powerfull
unit they
> will breake very easily (8 stands). You would need to outnumber
them 2 or 3
> to 1 in order to secure sucsess, but you know that and can plan for
it!
> Always use supporting fire from advancing units to mop up the
survivng
> Necrons from the CC. But the one thing we shouldn't do, is to make
the
> Necrons thouger to breake! This is their great weeknes, and IMH the
sole
> reason for the unit not beeing overly cheesy!!! Sure its a
powerfull unit
> indeed, but that makes them all that more challenging to fight
against. Let
> them have a go at a couple of detachmends of striking
scorpions........ I
> think the scorpions will take them out! We often forget that each
and every
> army has got very powerfull units/weapons. IG has Warp/Vortex
Missiles,
> Ordinarius vehicles, and the artillery (In the early days my
opponent often
> complained that the artillery was waaaaay to powerfull), somebody
thinks
> that IG and SM combinations are cheesy although they are clearly
ment to be
> combined in all official material from GW. The Squat Colossus is
relatively
> cheap and increadbly powerfull, Wave serpents, pulse lasers, Nova
cannon,
> the list goes on and on. But you know how they work so you can plan
on how
> to meet them, and IMO thats the thrill of the game.
>
> For all of you who are interested in the Slann, try them out for a
couple of
> games before passing judgement. If you still think the army is to
powerfull,
> then suggest the changes you think will improve the Slann/Necrons,
and we
> will discuss them in this forum!
>
> Nils

Necron
> > units. Either keep the stats and cost the same, or boost the
Necron
> > ability to Nulify at range as the Scarab does, AND boost the
price up.

> > I would like to hear what Hellreich and Rune would say about this,
> > however.
> >
> > Warprat ;)
> >

> > Peter Ramos wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > I have come to the conclusion that the scarab cards may be
overkill,
> > perhaps
> > > just say they ARE part of Necron units keep stats as is and
eliminate
> > the
> > > scarab card. This way Necron assault are tough since they have
scarabs
> > doing
> > > all this to the enemy.
> > >
> > > As for warp jump, Eldar warp spiders have this why shouldn't
Necron who
> > are
> > > technologically superior? of course I'd add one thing, the
danger of
> > being
> > > lost into the warp like all slann units that have this, the
good goes
> > with
> > > the bad. how does that sound?
> > >
> > > Peter

Almost
> > > any Marine force can Snap fire against them, limit thier
movement, then
> > > destroy them at range. Also, in order to take the
Bloodletters, you
> > > would also have to purchase a Greater Deamon of Korne. You
can't JUST
> > > buy the Bloodletters like you can the Necrons.
> > >
> > > What do you think about the Scarabs? The fluff says they
USUALLY
> > > accompany a Necron force. Do you purchase these for your
Necrons
> > > usually? If not, then I suggest we change the Fluff, or make
them
> > > mandatory.
> > >
> > > Warprat ;)

> > this