Re: War monger weapons

From: Luca Lettieri <magnus_at_...>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 09:44:56 -0000

Ok, I've read the rules on the Warmonger, I've seen the mini, and
here are my thoughts (disclaimer: I don't have the epic mag here, I'm
going from memory):

A) Originally the thing should've been a slightly smaller version of
the Imperator. The mini and his stats, however, do NOT support this.
Basically this is an Imperator with different weapons. If anything,
I'd say it's slightly larger than his brother.

B) The thing is going to give us headaches. I'll try to explain in
further detail later, but the fact that this is supposed to be the
"long range Imperator" should be a good clue.

An approximate translation in NetEpic rules:

the special Imperator rules apply in full, thus we'll need to use the
template, the plasma counters etc. Reason is obvious: the hull is the
same. This alone puts the thing at over 2000 points.

The weapons: the turret weapons have been replaced by AA-type
quadruple-barreled weapons. Comparing the Epic40k Imperator and
Warmonger, we see that the new weapons have a slightly inferior punch
than the old AA. They should probably produce a larger amount of
fire, though. Range stays the same (but see below).

Secondary weapons stay the same.

The big turret laser has been replaced by a special sensor system
which increases range of all weapons (except secondary ones) by 30cm.
While this is directly translated into NetEpic terms, it also means
that facing the monstrosity is going to put anyone in a world of
hurt, since the thing outranges practically everything. Also,
increased-range AA shots mean "forget about flyers".

The Warmonger carries a small recon flyer (sort of the Colossus). In
Epic40k rules, this allows it to fire indirect artillery as direct
ONCE PER BATTLE. I don't think this makes any sense, and I'd convert
it to "as long as the thing flies". I'd also give the vehicle a small
token weapon (standard bolter, 15cm, 1 dice, hit on 6): this doesn't
alter the balance in any meaningful way but properly reflects the
fact that you don't fly unarmed recon vehicles in heavy combat
situations.

The head mounts two rather big cannons. I'd give the weapon a 50cm
range (remember, this is going to be 80 in practice...), 2 dice, hit
on 4+, save -2, fire directly ahead.

The two big weapons are changed:

First weapon: BIG double barreled energy weapon. The Epic40K stats
are practically identical to an Epic40k Volcano Cannon, so I'd say
let's translate it into the equivalent of two Volcanos, with
overcharge possibility which increases range, to hit and save
modifier (ouch!).

Second weapon: here comes the trouble. It appears as some sort of
projectile weapon surrounded by eight missiles. Curiously enough, the
central weapon is not mentioned in the rules, so I figure it's just a
part of the missile firing mechanism.
The eight missiles are a problem. A BIG problem. Having a
configurable Imperator entices the need for a "Hull cost + missiles
cost". This leads to:

A) An ungodly final cost which renders the thing unusable except in
8000 pts+ battles.
B) Cheese. "I'll take 8 Vortexes, thank you very much".

Also the rule about firing only one per turn doesn't make much sense,
considering that many Epic games last 3-4 rounds. It helps somewhat
countering the cheese-masters, but it also can be abused ("three
vortexes and I'll leave five mount points empty so I pay less.. no
sense paying for missiles I won't use").

My proposal: let's produce 3-4 acceptable fixed configurations, rate
of fire two missiles per turn. This will allow full use of the weapon
in a normal game, and will save the headaches about trying to balance
a configurable super-long-range Imperator.

Final cost: at least as much as the Imperator; depends on the
missiles' configuration, of course.

Let's start the ball rolling..

Luca