Re: [NetEpic ML] Help

From: Peter Ramos <primarch_at_...>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 12:02:11 -0500

Hi!

Different armies require a different approach.

Marines
These guys don't have real heavy support of the kind required to take
out titans on a regular basis. You need to bring out your own titans.
There are two ways to do it:
1. shooter titan- you arm this titans with several high attack dice
weapons like gatling blaster or turbo lasers, so as to knock down the
shields. These are the majority of weapons you should have mount. On a
warlord 3 gatling blasters of 3 turbo lasers will yield enough to knock
down all shields on a enemy titan. Use other capable ground units to
help you out BEFORE you use the titan. Mount one volcano cannon for the
kill.

The advantage here is that you can do it at a distance, but theres no
guarantee you'll hit as many times as you need.

2. close combat monster- use a reaver, he's faster than a warlord. Arm
with close combat head (and tail if playing chaos), chain saw AND power
fist or laser burner. On the carapace mount a single high yield weapon,
in case you do have to shoot at some point. tactic is simple CHARGE!! In
close combat he is no match for your 3d6 + 12 + close combat head. Once
you win use either the laser burner or power fist special ability to
knock it out.

The advantage is if you catch him you got him dead! Of course the
disadvantage is "IF" you catch him.

IG
You have a lotta leeway here without bringing titans of your own. Use
storm blades, cheaper than most titan and 4 hunter killer missiles each,
enough to knock down shields between the three of them. Buy single
shadowswords and hide far a way from the titian and use the 100cm range
to the most. A cheap alternative is a company of heavy IG and a
shadowsword tank. You run around 650 for the whole lot and have 30
attack dice for shields and the shadowsword for the killing blow.

Deathstrikes with warp missiles accomplish the same, but are unreliable
as for when they will do it.

Tech Guard

Knights of course! Use errants, they have a bonus against titans.
Remember the knights shield is unmodifiable so this will be invaluable
to close the range before close combat. Use castellans and crusaders for
the long range pot-shots once shields are down. Lancers are particularly
useful, since they fire just before close combat, go for weapons of the
head to reduce teh opponents CAF advantage over you.

Gargants
These guys are tough. Period. The lack of sensitive mind impulse systems
and a reactor make gargants withstand hits that would kill titans ten
times over. I have seen gargants walk away from vortex blasts!

The secret to killing them is fires, lots and lots of fires. The more
fires you start teh less effective it will be and the easier to kill.
Don't always go for the high yeild spots like the ammo. They have good
saves, so unless you hit them with a volcano cannon or similar weapon it
unlikely you'll get through. Hit the hull with minor weapons, it
compomises its integrity and makes fires easier to make. weapons with a
-1 modifier are great for this.

Incapacitate then kill. A gargant that doesn't move is one big waste. it
lacks for the most part teh long range weapons of its adversaries. Blow
of its foot and watch it grind to a halt. You can pepper it from 75cm
while it can only bring to bare an occasional weapon. Destroy its high
yeild weapons then you can get closer still to pepper it with more
firepower. Never engage a gargant in close combat! Even wounded he'll
mumch you down for breakfast.

Once incapacitated then shoot with your big guns to those high yield
spots, by then there is little it can do to retailiate.

Peter