Re: [NetEpic ML] Heathen Army List (aka Ogre!)

From: Daryl Lonnon <dlonnon_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 11:08:02 -0700 (MST)

> Daryl,
> I am thinking about getting into the new Ogre game. Does it play well?

Well, new is a matter of perspective :-).

Ogre's been around since the late 70's. The rules are the same as
back then, it's just been rereleased. I've only played a handful
of times, but every time I've played, I've enjoyed it.

There's actually two games, there's Ogre Miniatures and Ogre/GEV.
Ogre/GEV is a hex based game using chits (although the newly released
Ogre Deluxe and GEV Deluxe play it using miniatures using large
hexmaps). Ogre Miniatures is a dehexified version of Ogre/GEV.

A cheap way to see what the game is like, is to get the chitbased
version of Ogre/GEV (and possibly the add on Shockwave). That
should run about 20 dollars total (including Shockwave), and
gives you everything you'll ever need to play the chit based version.

The scale is a level of magnitude greater than Epic. Every unit
is given a movement (in hexes or inches), a defense rating, a
range, and a offense rating. Ogre components (primary battery,
secondary battery, etc) have their own ratings and need to be
destroyed individually. Combat is worked out by totaling the
number of offensive ratings you wish to use againsts a unit/component
and dividing by the defensive rating of the unit/component being
fired on ... and then rolling on a chart. The chart lists effects
such as no effect, damaged, or destroyed. Various units have
various special abilities ... GEV's can move after firing, infantry
can take multiple destroyed results (getting weaker each time), etc..

Steve Jackson games has a pretty decent Ogre Page at:
http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/

> I have seen the mini's and I agree you seem to get a good value
> for the money.
>
> Thanks.
> Darius

They aren't bad, although they aren't ridiculously cheap either.
The castings on the ones I've picked up recently are pretty good.

DarylL